Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Replacing Fixtures in Bathtub- HELP

I have removed my old tub, figured out how to reroute the waste line to the new location and have a plan for installing the new tub... now how do I know what fixtures will work with my existing supply lines. I was browsing on Moen's website and most of their fixtures have options I have no idea what they mean: CC hookup, CC with stops, IPS and some fixtures have even more choices. I am including a link to a couple pictures of my existing fixture and pipes. Can someone tell me how to detach what is on it now (is it soldered on??), fill me in on exactly what I am removing (I have no idea what stays and what goes) and what the heck I need to buy to attach with the least hassle!! Thanks, Heather

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdavis73/

Oh, also.. when I pulled the steel tub out I removed the spout to get it out of the way. Now there is a constant drip from the pipe (fills a half bucket a day)... we might have knocked the temperature control knob during pull out. Should I assume this likely will be solved with the new fixture install?

hdavis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 38

A cc valve is what you have in your picture, IPS will have threaded connections to the pipes, and yes your pipes are soldered. How are your soldering skills? I would stay with copper like you have. Its not that tough when your wall is open.
And your drip will go awy with a new valve

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 26

You said,"I"---Do you know how to solder?

It's a long explanation to make--

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-13-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Typed wrong.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

Soldering (spelling?) skills are... well, I haven't yet!! Though it sounds like it is a matter of applying flux to make sure solder binds, heat up the pipes until soldering melts and apply solder from back until it travels around entire connection loop (please let me know any tricks or things I am missing).

I guess my question now is how and what am I cutting off?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

Yes it is an "i"... home improvement doesn't intimidate me, I've done lots of my own renos but that has been things like building decks, tiling floors, remodelling our basement, kitchen backsplashes, building sheds and the regular home maintenance stuff. I take it slow and stop each step of the way until I feel I have the knowledge. With that said, once I get all the information I also am smart enough to know when it is time to let a professional help out. That is what I am trying to determine here. How easy or hard is it to solder... am I likely to practice on a few test pieces and get the hang of it or more likely to create a joint that will burst on me. Again... that's why I'm posting and asking!!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

Simply put- shut off the water, cut the hot and cold supplies as well as the riser to the shower head. Fit the new valve with new pipe and couple it to the existing pipes. Solder joints, turn on water and look for leaks. Anchor the valve to the framing too. Oh, and remove internal cartridge from the valve before soldering so you don't overheat it.
Go to youtube and search for shower valve install. I saw a good one there a while back.
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

Thanks!! I appreciate the help.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2

It's easier to practice soldering on a bench than on the pipe you might be concerned of damaging.Couplings are cheap to practice with.Don't forget to CLEAN the fitting and the pipe before soldering.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote