Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Replacing Dishwasher - Water Valve Help?

Okay, so i'm currently in the process of replacing my dishwasher and have stumbled upon a problem. I thought I turned off the water to the dishwasher using the only valve under my sink that connects to the water line leading into the dishwasher, but for some reason the water in the line just keeps flowing when I try removing the hex nut holding the line in place. So - either i'm wrong and the water will drain eventually, or i'm doing something wrong!

When I got to the valve is was completely straight across, so I turned it to the right (quarter turn valve) until it wouldn't budge anymore - too much water. So I figured maybe my dad or someone turned the water off to the dishwasher before me so I turned it to the left again (which didn't make sense, but what the hell), same thing! What should I do?

How much water should come out of this line? I've filled up two big plastic bowls used to mix cakes or something.

EDIT: I just realized that the valve I am turning off is red - which means hot water i'm assuming? I can't find a cold water valve connecting to the dishwasher anywhere?

Last edited by BCreed025; 07-25-2010 at 08:22 AM.
BCreed025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Retired Plumbing Cont.

Rewards Points: 0

Replacing Dishwasher - Water Valve Help?

There is no cold water supply for a dishwasher. The valve is probably broken inside. Shut off the water outside or at the water heater and replace the valve.

rockerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote