Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Replacing a Chimney

I hope that this is an appropriate post for the plumbing forum..

I have an old house that includes an existing brick chimney from the basement to the roof. In the basement, there is a natural gas hot water heater and a separate boiler, both of which vent separately into the chimney. At some time in the next year or so, I wish to gut and remodel both of my bathrooms. Unfortunately, the chimney runs through the corner of both and is adjacent to the toilets in each, occupying precious space in what are some relatively small bathrooms. Most of the house is either in the process of being gutted or will be in the next couple of years and at this point, I am wondering if I could relocate the chimney (i.e. install a new one) elsewhere. More specifically, is there some sort of material that can be used that would preclude the need for brick, i.e. sheet metal?

Thanks!
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
I have gas!

Replacing a Chimney

This might be a good time to consider direct vent heating and hot water. You could free up all the room the chimney takes up.
Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Union HVAC Tech.

Replacing a Chimney

Yes you could either do a B-vent metal flue in close proximity to the existing flue, the lateral of the flue is dependent on the height of the overall flue. Or side wall venting with a draft inducer maybe a good choice.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote