DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing cast iron with PEX-Al-PEX

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  silvajus 
#1 · (Edited)
Replacing cast iron with PEX-Al-PEX for hot water heat

I am looking to change out all of the original cast iron pipe on the heat distribution system in a 100+ year old 3-story building that I am renovating in Easton, PA. The distribution system is on two NG boilers with feed pumps (1 for 1st floor; 1 for 2nd/3rd floors). The house was not properly winterized by the previous owners and several pipes and fittings burst. I saw a video on This Old House (you can view here) where they reconfigured a hot water radiator heating system with PEX-Al-PEX off of a manifold. If running the PEX-Al-PEX in this "home run" design, what size tubing would be required with dedicated supply/return to each radiator? I know there are practical requirements for flow and pressure, so I am wondering how small I can go on the ID. Can I get away with 1/2"? 5/8"? Or would I have to go all the way up to 3/4"? I would prefer a smaller diameter over a larger to reduce some of the costs, but not if it means installing an inadequate distribution system.

Thanks for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.