Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacement shower faucet?

Forgive me if I use any of the wrong terminology as I'm an expert in nothing in my life Went to replace my fixtures in my hall bathroom shower. Took off all of the existing fixtures leaving only the valve. Come to find out, I can't find anything or anyone locally that can upgrade the hardware without cutting out the current valve (i think that is what it's called) and putting in a new one.

I would have just put the old one back on until I had the money to pay someone to put on the new valve, but apparently when I took the old pull handle off, something broke or an o ring or something fell out because now, when I pull the handle, it leaks out of the side. It's ok while it's pushed all the way in....but that's it. So for now, the shower is "out of order".

Is there something I can replace this with without having to cut the copper? There is no access panel so that's why I'm trying to avoid this. Here are some pictures.....PLEASE tell me there is a replacement kit or SOMETHING!!! Thanks for you help in advance!! OH and the only name I can find around any of this hardware is WOLVERINE

Last edited by jlajla24; 11-21-2008 at 11:18 PM.
jlajla24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

You might be able to take the old cartage to Lowes or Home Depot and get a new one. That would be my first step.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #3

The cartridge is what is in the pull handle?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 268

It is actually, a 2 piece cartridge... 1/3 in the handle, the rest still inside the valve from your pics. HD or Lowes will most likely NOT have that cartridge since Wolverine has so many diff types of faucets/cartridges. You would really be best to replace the valve by cutting the drywall on the other side and either repairing it, or leaving an access panel. If yuo look at the clearance section of HD/Lowes, you can usually find closeout style valves on sale. Short of that, if you did not actually break something in the valve when you took it apart, you might try to remove and replace the o rings. If the old rings still look ok (i.e. didnt not get bent or scarred when you put the valve back together the first time, just put them back in, but do not push them in too far, let the cartridge do that itself as it is reassembled. Also be sure to not over tighten when you reassemble... this can cause leakage as well.
Good luck
Brett
Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #5

Wow thanks for the info. I would much rather just replace the entire valve and create the access panel. Problem is that behind the wall that has the shower is my master bath. The best I can tell, in order to get to the drywall behind the shower, I'd have to take out the vanity, which is more than likely, the original , 30 year old piece of furniture. My best guess is that it looks like they assembled the vanity right on top of the sub floor and tiled around it.

My dillema is that if I take the vanity top off, and cut thru the back of the of the vanity AND then finally thru the drywall, I might destroy the integrity of the rest of the vanity. Probably not, but there's always a chance. THEN, I would have to replace an odd sized vanity and then deal with the challange the partially tiled floor will create. SO, you can see why I'm looking for the cheapest easiest fix.

Is there someone I can take the part to that would be knowledgable enough to know what I need? Sorry to say, at least the folks at Lowes didn't know there A&$ from a hole in the ground. HD might be better, but just curious. Sorry for the length of my reply, just not sure what to do. Thanks for all the help thusfar!!!