Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replaced Single Lever Cartridge and now water is unpredictable

Hi,

My tub faucet was leaking so I took the cartridge to home depot and purchases a replacement. I inserted it and the leak is gone, but the problem is the hot and cold water are very unpredictable. I can spin the handle 360 degrees and hot/cold are never in the same location.

I've been researching and most talk about a retainer clip that's used to hold the cartridge in place, but mine is not like that. All it has is a metal sleeve that tightens down on top of the caridge to keep it in place.

I've taken this apart and put it back together 3 times and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The last time hot and cold were perfect, but after the first shower of twisting the knob and lever its all messed up and hot/cold are no longer in the same place.

Any ideas? Here is a picture of my setup. I think its Moen, but am not sure.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Replaced Single Lever Cartridge and now water is unpredictable-img_2260.jpg  

BottomsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

Bottomsup,

If it is a Moen it is very old. I've never seen a Moen that looks like that, but I certainly haven't seen everything.

In any case, it sounds like you are either missing a handle stop or the cartridge isn't installed or seated correctly. If the hot and cold occur at different points on the circle when you operate the valve that sounds like the cartridge is turning inside the valve body. However, if this is not a "pull out and then turn to adjust" type valve, that would usually mean that as the cartridge spins it would reach a point where it no longer shut off and just allowed water to continuously flow or, the opposite, just completely closed off the supply. If it is a "pull to turn on" type, this could be the problem.

If you still have the old cartridge, turn the water off, remove the new one and compare them. There is usually a tab or notch that fits a corresponding notch or tab on the valve body. This is so the cartridge stay aligned properly after it is installed. Make sure the 2 cartridges are the same.

If this isn't the problem there is probably some sort of insert or design feature that prevents the handle from spinning 360 degrees. Again, see if the old and new are the same and make sure you didn't leave out any pieces. Usually there is something that prevents a full 360 degree rotation of the handle.

All of this assumes that your handle didn't spin all the way around before. However, even if it did, the Hot and Cold should function correctly. I would guess that either the cartridge is different or a part got left out somehow.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.

Last edited by mstplumber; 06-10-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Too many thumbs.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

That looks like a mixit valve. the lever is for hot and cold and the plastic center is for volume. I would agree that it sounds like the cartridge isn't seated in there correctly. Its been awhile since i worked on one so I can't quite remember exactly how it goes in there. maybe you are letting the cartridge turn while you are tighening the retaining nut.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber Jim View Post
That looks like a mixit valve. the lever is for hot and cold and the plastic center is for volume. I would agree that it sounds like the cartridge isn't seated in there correctly. Its been awhile since i worked on one so I can't quite remember exactly how it goes in there. maybe you are letting the cartridge turn while you are tighening the retaining nut.
I'll try to tighten it up again. The cartridge has a white plastic piece that attaches to the handle, a stem that attaches to the water flow knob, and a brass looking part that extends out the backside when the stem is twisted.

I don't have the old one to compare anymore
BottomsUp is offline   Reply With Quote