Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replaced PT Valve but now have water pressure issue

Hi, I did some searching after encountering hot water overflowing out of my hot water heater, and discovered that the PT valve was the culprit. After inspecting the original, I saw it was corroded and pretty worn out.

The replacement seemed to go fine, however, when I removed it there was a fair amount of "sludge" in it, and after replacing the valve, when I first turned on the faucets the sludge was definitely in the water line as well.

Following the replacement, I've seen a noticeable drop in the water pressure in various faucets. I'm trying to see if others have encountered this, and what the best approach would be. Do I need to remove each and every sink in order to flush out, or is there an easier way? Or is it time for me to call a plumber? Hopefully I haven't damaged anything during the course of my handyman adventures.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

krisdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Master Joatmon

Rewards Points: 25

Perhaps the screens at each faucet are now full of that gunk? Set the stopper in the sink and unscrew the round aerator where the water comes out. If it is too tight to remove by hand, first try a damp washcloth. If it still won't budge, use a pipe wrench, but protect the chrome with the washcloth. Remove the parts (remembering the order) and clean each one, especially the screen. Reassemble and try the water again.

Chucky Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you now have sludge in the water lines, that tells me that your tank is probably holding lots of it too. Turn off the power (electric or gas) to the unit and the cold water supply valve and drain it. Once it is empty, turn the water supply back on and run it for a few minutes with the drain valve open. See if more sludge comes out. keep flushing this way until the water from the drain hose runs clear. Then you can disconnect the hose, refill the tank and turn the power back on. Remove any aerators on faucet spouts and clean the screens. You may be able to do this by simply flipping them over and flushing with water. If you remove the screens, make sure they go back in the same order they came out. Another thing to check is the hot water hose on your washing machine. Momma ain't gonna be happy with sludge in the wash water.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I will see how to go about and drain the hot water tank. I've never done this before (not that probably comes as a surprise ) so it should be interesting. I tried removing the screen on my kitchen sink, but that didn't seem to help... in fact, it seems like it's gotten worse over time. The only upside is that I've noticed that the sink spray nozzle works fine, so it seems like the faucet or something within is gunked up vs. the entire water line. Thanks for help!
krisdiy is offline   Reply With Quote