Replaced Cast Iron (CI) With ABS - NOISE! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replaced Cast Iron (CI) with ABS - NOISE!

I replaced 80+ year old 4" sand CI pipe with 3" ABS for drain and stack. I started with the second floor master and guest bathroom. However, these both run directly over the living room on the first floor.

The noise is horrendous! I can't emphasize that enough!!! There are a few options to do since it's already installed. I know there's a wrap to cover the plumbing. I've called a few distributors and for how much it costs, I might as well have paid a plumber to come in and install CI pipe. Second, I know there's spray insulation, which should work quite well. Has anyone heard of any products that have been successful at this? Also, I live in Orange County Southern California; any idea where I can buy this stuff in quantity instead of spending $200 on 'Great Stuff' spray insulation?

There's a beam that runs directly next to the joist for these pipes which sticks out of the ceiling about 5". So I'm already going to double up on 5/8" drywall in that section of the wall and ceiling. Don't worry, I'll disguise it well!

Cost and availability are the key concerns here! I've already spent half a day looking online, and I haven't been able to find anything that I've been looking for.

I know I should have plumbed with CI. However, I already did it in sch 40 ABS. So, here's what my plan is...

I'm going to apply liquid nails for paneling, use foam insulation (Goodstuff) around all of the ABS, quickly put up 1/2" soundboard fastened with 1 1/4" drywall fasteners, apply more liquid nails to the surface of the soundboard over the studs and then hang 5/8" gypboard with 2" drywall fasteners.

Think that will do the trick?

The bathrooms are located above the living room in the corner. Having people in there on a quite night, to hear a toilet flush fluid down the pipes wouldn't help the nice environment. Honestly, I'd still probably use goodstuff around CI just to make it dead silent.

Any feedback would be helpful!

Thanks again!

Advertisement

npbsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Replaced Cast Iron (CI) with ABS - NOISE!

Plastic pipe is always far noisier than CI. You seem to be doing all that you can do with spray insulation, etc., but I doubt that you'll be able to completely deaden the noise. Give it your best shot anyway.
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote