Replace Galvanized Water Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Replace galvanized water pipe

I'm debating replacing my galvanized water pipe. I'd like to start with the main supply line in my basement. I have a 3/4 " pipe that comes off the meter that is inside my house. Right now I have what looks like a home made water hammer arrester right after the meter too. Where could I read about the code for main supply line from the meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace galvanized water pipe-image-265208424.jpg  

Advertisement

bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Should have been replaced years ago.
Galvinized will leak and close up on the inside and reduce flow 100% of the time.
Replace it with Pex, copper, or CPVC.
You need 3/4 mains and 1/2" supplys.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Okay but what about after the meter? Do I need a hammer resistor or anything special after the meter?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp22 View Post
Okay but what about after the meter? Do I need a hammer resistor or anything special after the meter?
That's the least of your concerns.
Getting the galv pipe out is the job to focus on.

After it is all replaced then you can explore what might be appropriate w/r/t reducing valves or air hammer rigs or expansion tanks or service valves and gauges and so forth,
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

I really don't have any issues with pressure. The places I have seen when replacing valves does not have rid or corrosion inside the pipe.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

I have a 1940 home with galv pipe. Plus all the new CPVC pipe I have added. No problem with either one. Will replace the galv pipe when it becomes a problem. Will use Pex if I outlive the galv.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp22 View Post
I'm debating replacing my galvanized water pipe. I'd like to start with the main supply line in my basement. I have a 3/4 " pipe that comes off the meter that is inside my house. Right now I have what looks like a home made water hammer arrestor right after the meter too. Where could I read about the code for main supply line from the meter.
Water hammer arrestors are most effective when placed as close as possible to the valve they are serving- such as an ice maker, clothes washer, toilet, and irrigation valves. These are quick closing valves.
The line you see may be a capped line from earlier use. I would think it serves no purpose.
There are no specific code that addresses that section of pipe except general water piping code.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Bryanp22, I'm actually doing this right now. I have a galvanized and copper system that I am tearing out and replacing with a new Pex and manifold system. While I'm at it, I'm replacing the 1991 (yea I know) water heater and adding an expansion tank. It will be a whole new system and well worth it. I was quoted a bid for around $5k to re-plumb the entire house. With everything I just mentioned I should be able to do it for around $1200 and the water heater ate up $500 of that total. Good luck and look into manifolds if you have not already.
HitLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

If you don't have a water hammer issue right now, I wouldn't worry about it.

In my experience it only happens on lines where the valve closes quickly. I did have a slight problem with one of my lines...I solved it by getting all the related pipes properly secured....

What was basically happening....someone would flush the toilet which is being fed off the longest section of the main 3/4" feed...so here you have about 33' of copper pipe with water flowing at a good clip and then all of a sudden the flow stops....if you calculate the volume of water....that means you have a little over 6 lbs trying to stop all of a sudden.

If pipes are loose, you get what some call water hammer....it sounds like someone is hammering on your pipes...

The valves on most newer toilets are designed to reduce hammer. I've heard that in some cases you can crank down the shutoff valve coming out to the wall to slow the flow a little and reduce hammer. Downside...if it's a cheap or old valve, it might leak.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,474

Quote:
If pipes are loose, you get what some call water hammer.
I agree that some call it water hammer, but it is not. That is just loose or noisy pipes. Water hammer is pressure spikes within the piping. It can make noise even if the pipes are tightly fastened.

Real cases of water hammer that are not corrected can damage your piping system, or anything connected to it.

Advertisement

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote