Replace Bathroom Sink Drain? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10

Replace bathroom sink drain?

Hello All.

I am getting ready to install drywall in the location behind where my bathroom sink will be placed and am wondering what options I have for replacing the sink drain that goes into the wall. Hopefully I am using the correct terminology here.

This is a complete bathroom remodel. All previous drywall, toilet, tub, shower valve, subfloor, 1/2" copper pipe, shutoff valves, ect. is being replaced. The house ws built in the mid to late 60's.

The original drain (please see attachments) which connected to the P-Trap appears to be chrome plated metal which looks to be soldered to 1 1/2" copper pipe. This seems to be in good condition other than the metal slip nut marred up a bit. The three options I can think of are:

1) Try to re-use existing plumbing. It would seem a bit difficult to slip drywall over the pipe plus I would have to cut the cover ring off (I think). Since this is a complete remodel I would like everything to look like new (even though this would be under the sink).

2) Un-solder the chrome piece. Replace drywall. Then solder a new drain connection with slip nut. Are these metel parts commonly sold today?

3) Un-solder the chrome piece. Replace drywall. Then replace with PVC drain connection. What parts would be required here? It seems like I would need some sort of a coupler to go from the copper pipe to PVC.

Is there a better option?

This is my first post so hopefully I attached my pictures correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Replace bathroom sink drain?-dsc01061.jpg   Replace bathroom sink drain?-dsc01060.jpg  


Dave321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
DIY staff

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,728
Rewards Points: 7,174

Un-soldering the fitting from the T and adding a trap adapter (1 1/4" male with a slip nut) is a good option.

or cut out the T and use Fernco fittings to change that to PVC.


New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
plumber666 (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply oh'mike.

I think I like your ideal of the trap adaptor. If I went this option would I un-solder the coupler from the T, then solder the trap adaptor to the T? Or, un-solder the chrome piece from the coupler then solder the trap adaptor to the coupler?

Also, can I connect PVC pipe directly to the trap adaptor sucuring with the metal slip nut? Seems like I would the copper trap adaptor a few inches from the wall if connecting to PVC is an option.

Dave321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can two washers drain into one utility sink? mcru Plumbing 6 07-26-2010 08:23 PM
After Snaking, Basement floor drain and utility sink still Bubbling & Backup bikermark1 Plumbing 2 07-22-2010 12:14 PM
Basement bathroom sink drain line on a slight upwards slope an issue? dtran Plumbing 7 01-10-2010 05:05 PM
Sink won't drain kchopper Plumbing 5 06-07-2009 09:42 PM
installing vessel sink drain?! (HELP!) tara Plumbing 2 11-10-2006 12:17 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1