Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Repiping, Water heater and Add a Bathroom

Merry Christamas !!

1) My waterline going through attic broke yesterday. I guess it is out of life now. It is a galvanized pipe. So instead of fixing it, I would like to go for a repipe(copper) since it would be a permanant solution and anyways it needs to be done one day.

2) I also have a plan to add a new bathroom in my big den.. got all the approvals from city.. so only thing left out is starting the work.

3) I also plan to take out 1)tank water heater 2) washer and dryer from my big den so that I can have more room in that den. I would like to move to tankless water heater instead of tank water heater. I want to move washer and dryer into garage.

So now the questions are.

I may not able to do all above things in one time due to the cost factor.

I know I have to get done the first item as soon as possible since now there is no water in the house now.

Which one should I take it along with item 1 to save cost ?
How do I plan it ? I would like to get the best combination to save cost ?

Please advise.

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,024

A bit baffling. Being without water is not is not a very comfortable existance, so why would you not replace the ruptured line now, as in immediately, rather than waiting until you decide how to proceed on a remodeling project. The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe you are going to hire the work done, and perhaps save money by combining tasks, but the plumber can't be in the bathroom and the attic at the same time, so where are the savings? Get the water running again, so that you can take the pressure off of yourself, then you can make rational decisions regarding the rest.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,150

Use pex not copper, 1/3 the cost and by far faster to install with far fewer joints.
Does it ever freeze in your area. If so get that water heater out of the attic.
I strongly suggest againt a tankless one. See if any of the plumber chime in and agree with me.
To many maintaince issues and very high start up cost. It would take many manys years for a break even point and by then it would need replacing.
As you found out it's never a good idea to put a water heater in an attic. One flood and it distroys anything around and below it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
A bit baffling. Being without water is not is not a very comfortable existance, so why would you not replace the ruptured line now, as in immediately, rather than waiting until you decide how to proceed on a remodeling project. The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe you are going to hire the work done, and perhaps save money by combining tasks, but the plumber can't be in the bathroom and the attic at the same time, so where are the savings? Get the water running again, so that you can take the pressure off of yourself, then you can make rational decisions regarding the rest.
I do understand it is little difficult without water.. But I do have seperate water line outside of the house. So with that line, we are so far ok.

The reason I am planning for a repipe is - this is the 2nd puncture to the line. first one was very small.. so I sealed it. but this one looks big based on the leak of tha water from the attic on the living room. I have not seen it personally.
I did enough research and had a couple of quotes for repipe though never finalized one.

It is a typically one day job for all the repiping. So I am thinking of going for repipe. Only thing is that - I have never clubbed repipe job with other jobs (water heater and bathroom).

If clubbing does not make sense, I may simply go and repipe the house.. and then think about other jobs slowly.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Use pex not copper, 1/3 the cost and by far faster to install with far fewer joints.
Does it ever freeze in your area. If so get that water heater out of the attic.
I strongly suggest againt a tankless one. See if any of the plumber chime in and agree with me.
To many maintaince issues and very high start up cost. It would take many manys years for a break even point and by then it would need replacing.
As you found out it's never a good idea to put a water heater in an attic. One flood and it distroys anything around and below it.
I hear you about tankless water heater. I am kind of getting the same feeling with the research so far I have done.

However, on Pex, people are advising me against pex .. in my place the cost is not 30% differrence.. may be 20%.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,150

And how are you hearing bad things about Pex? Almost every new house being built uses it. All my plumbers have switched over to it. I've been using it for at least 5 years and never had an problums with it. I even replaced all the old steel pipes in my house with it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
And how are you hearing bad things about Pex? Almost every new house being built uses it. All my plumbers have switched over to it. I've been using it for at least 5 years and never had an problums with it. I even replaced all the old steel pipes in my house with it.
Thank you for your comments. Good to know that you have been using for the last 5 years. I am not quite sure..I am not a plumber nor I have lot of understanding about plumbing.

Couple of neighbors and even one plumber, I spoke with says - copper.
Just because it is proven for the last 5o years. Pex is a recently came into picture.. did not have long history.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

The PEX copper debate has been going on on this forum for at least two years. I suggest you do a search for "PEX", you will finds dozens of hits. No need to rehash the comments here. Certainly nothing wrong with copper, are you planning to DIY the job, or hire it out?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
The PEX copper debate has been going on on this forum for at least two years. I suggest you do a search for "PEX", you will finds dozens of hits. No need to rehash the comments here. Certainly nothing wrong with copper, are you planning to DIY the job, or hire it out?
It will be hiring.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
It will be hiring.
well let me add my 2 cent worth...while copper is well liked and used....most to day including my company perfer pex ...saves cost, time, and from all the research from qualified people..they tell us pex may exceed certian aspects of copper.just my 2 cents ....oh by the way if you want copper be perpared to pay for it...its more than 20-30% over pex....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
well let me add my 2 cent worth...while copper is well liked and used....most to day including my company perfer pex ...saves cost, time, and from all the research from qualified people..they tell us pex may exceed certian aspects of copper.just my 2 cents ....oh by the way if you want copper be perpared to pay for it...its more than 20-30% over pex....
Got it. Still thinking !! does the location matter in relation to pex or copper ?
Does pex requires insulation for hot and cold pipes ?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,188

we handle pex the same as copper if we think we need to insulate we do even though manufactor dosen't requirer it....thats going through very cold areas where it may freeze...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote