Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling

I ran the tip of a drywall screw into a 2" black ABS waste line buried between my first floor ceiling and the second story sub floor.

I was thinking of just dabbing some glue or epoxy on the spot.

Unlike the leak in this similar current thread, mine will be enclosed once the drywall is replaced. How to repair plastic drain that's not accessible

If anyone wonders why the ceiling was opened, a plumber needed access to fix a bad (bath tub waste line) install by an unlicensed (contractor). I damaged (this) line after the plumber did his job, which did not include drywall work.

Before I though to check here, I was looking at some JB Weld at the HD. I noticed there is one type for PVC and another for ABS and PVC. (The guy at HD was telling me to get the stuff that was listed for PVC, even after I pointed out it did not say it was for ABS, and then I pointed out the JB Weld on the next rack said it was for ABS or PVC.)

The leak is in the upper middle of the area of the pipe sanded clean in the first pic. About an inch inside of the edge of the drywall hole the original builder connected the line with the leak via a flex connector to a another drain pipe.

The second pic shows where the pipe turns up approximately 43" from the wall. It's the one with the green spray paint.

Pic 4 shows the connection from the wasteline for the tub immediately above and another which goes I know not. Perhaps it is a vent?
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-003.jpg   Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-004.jpg   Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-002.jpg   Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-waste-line-001.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 09-16-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: To clarify in case any other DIYers are confused by it.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Cut out that whole section and use two new hubless connectors.
Do you really want to deal with drywall fixes when your patches start leaking?

Klawman (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

Sounds good, Joe. I remember that you like things done one way and that is the right way, which is good. To protect those soft flexible connections that are so close to the drywall, I will pick up the shielded type (after I check the alignment of the two connections. I see where the shields eliminate the flexibility that may be needed if after install the pipe doesn't exactly align). And yes, I hate having to patch drywall. Thanks.

I see where you ask where we are located. I am in Orange County, CA.

Last edited by Klawman; 09-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

One clean cut with the hacksaw and the existing no hub connector on the other end, which's bands I first loosened, alloweded me to pull a 21" section of the old ABS free.

Now I know why there was water accumulating in the pipe instead of draining out. Pic #1

See the accumulated sediment beyond the rib (which is attached just before the bend down inside the wall.) Pic 2.

I should be able to reuse the section I cut out, but the few dollars isn't worth the risk. *(WTF was I thinking. I took that section out because it had the leak in it.) I suppose I am begging for trouble if I use a regular ABS connector on the end where the cut was made and a new flexible no hub on the end by the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-more-pipe-pics-001.jpg   Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-more-pipe-pics-005.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 09-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #5

I got the old pipe section out and took the no hub off. Turns out it is shielded and it connected to a cast iron elbow that turned down into the wall. Off to Ferguson's P Supply. I don't trust the stuff from HD.
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-more-plumbing-002.jpg   Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-more-plumbing-006.jpg   Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-more-plumbing-005.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #6

I did it just as you advised, using two no hub connectors from NSF and a 22" section of ABS. I cut the pipe perhaps slightly long and trimmed it twice by 1/8"+ to get a snug fit. This would have been hell had I tried gluing he one end with a solid connector. Thanks. You folk are the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing pinhole leak in ABS drain in ceiling-final-abs-pics-002.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 09-16-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add picture
The Following User Says Thank You to Klawman For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

Nice illegal repair...

Usually with smaller pipe you could have glued it all back in with proper couplings. No hub clamps are not approved for plastic fittings. Good for cast iron though.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Klawman (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Nice illegal repair...

Usually with smaller pipe you could have glued it all back in with proper couplings. No hub clamps are not approved for plastic fittings. Good for cast iron though.
Man, I'd hate to have you inspect in my town
Klawman (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
registered

Rewards Points: 4

I would have recommended an ABS repair coupling 3inch or 4 inch depending on size of that pipe. Can't tell by pick. But this will fly.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #10

Thanks. I think Joe's suggestion of double no hubs was a good one, but I sort of enjoy tooling around with my hands and why I am not certain the fix is illegal for a repair as opposed to a new install, and I don't think it will ever be a problem, I just might glue up the ABS to ABS joint with an ABS connector. I have the glue and the joint will set me back a whopping $.79.

The terminus in the wall being to a cast iron elbow, I will leave it connected with the no hub.

I am surprised that I got thanks. If anyone is wondering why all the pics, I figure they may make it easier for you guys to help some other lost souls like me. Also, this new cell phone is kind of neat.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I would have recommended an ABS repair coupling 3inch or 4 inch depending on size of that pipe. Can't tell by pick. But this will fly.
It's 2" ABS and the section cut out and replaced is 19" long. By 3 inch or 4 inch do you mean the width of the connection? The ones I see at the HD are about 1.5 ". They allow each pipe to be inserted about .75" into the connector. I think you may mean to get a wider coupling that allows more of the pipe to be inserted in each end.

Last edited by Klawman; 09-16-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawman View Post
It's 2" ABS and the section cut out and replaced is 19" long. By 3 inch or 4 inch do you mean the width of the connection? The ones I see at the HD are about 1.5 ". They allow each pipe to be inserted about .75" into the connector. I think you may mean to get a wider coupling that allows more of the pipe to be inserted in each end.
ABS couplings are not readily available in any other length than what you saw at the store.
Over 2 decades of plumbing with ABS and I have never seen an ABS repair coupling. Not saying they don't make them, but we use the no hub couplings instead- very similar, if not the same to the method you used.
Klawman (09-16-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #13

TheEplumber, A plumber who was getting some parts at the HD selected that particular brand no hub connection. The HD carried two manufacturers and he liked this because the sleeve is softer and easier to roll back on itself.

A guy working at HD also said that as far as he knows no one makes a repair kit for ABS pipes, while there is such a thing for 3/4" pvc irrigation pipe.

Anyhow, depending on how rapidly the glue dries (no cures but dries tot he point I cannot slide the pipe in and out), I can easily imagine how I can 1) remove the replacement section, (2) glue the ABS connector onto the waste line coming off of the stack (3) position the no hub on the cast iron elbow in the wall, (4) roll the rubber of that no hub back on itself, (5) make sure the shield is slid over the replacement pipe, (6) apply a liberal amount of glue to the open end of the coupling and the corresponding end of the pipe section. (7) shove the wet end of the pipe into the coupling quickly, (8) align the other end of the section with the no hub and slide the pipe section back out of the ABS connector perhaps 1/4" while twisting the pipe about a 1/4 turn, (9) roll the no hub connector back down over the end of the pipe section, (10) slide the shield over the no hub and tighten. After the glue cures test for leaks and that should do it. yes?

The weakness of my plan is how fast the glue dries. What I have is Oatey Medium Black ABS Cement. Given that the instructions say to keep pressure on the connection for 30 seconds, my guess is this sets up real quick. I may check to see if there is a slow drying cement readily available.

Whatever I do, I will first test things in the garage and make sure that the fittings are clean and deburred.

This heat may increase normal drying time so I may set the AC really low.

Last edited by Klawman; 09-17-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #14

I am overthinking this. I will just glue the coupling on one end, have the no hub in place on the cast iron elbow with the one end rolled back and dry fit the pipe. I understand that it will push in deeper when wet with glue but I want it fit dry so that it is just a bit too long, maybe 1/4" to swing in and align with the cast iron. If it fits about like that, glue the far end, swing the wall end in and roll down the no hub. G'nite. Before I do anything, I will test the gluing time and how deep the pipe seats with scraps.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #15

Measure the distance between the two ends, deduct for the coupling and no hub internal stops, square cut the pipe that length.
Then glue one end into the coupling and place the other end in line with the rolled back no hub.
Adjust the no hub rubber and shield and tighten to 60 inch lb tork. Let the glue set for 5 minutes and check for leaks. Your done- find another project or enjoy a bath.

Klawman (09-17-2013)

Tags
abs, enclosed waste line, pinhole leak