Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Share |

repair water pressure regulator?

My water pressure regulator seems to be hosed. I have a gage mounted permanently in the manifold so can easily see what is going on. Also, I took the safety expansion tank off line and shut off the water heater during tests.

No matter where I set the regulator adjusting screw the household water pressure eventually stabilizes at 82 psi (incoming is ~105 from the city, read on sprinkler pressure gage). The thing seems to be leaking by. The only difference adjusting the reg for lower pressure makes is how low the pressure goes down during flow and how fast it recovers to 82 psi after the faucet is shut. The lower the setting the farther the pressure drops during flow and the longer to recover to 82.

The tag says it is a Wilkins model 70 and the cap with the guts under it seems to be threaded onto the body. I also found a rebuild kit here. How difficult is it to install one of these kits? I am very handy but wonder about the chances of possibly ending up with no water for a day or 2 if this doesn't go as expected. But it seems it would be easier than removing the whole thing and installing a new one.

http://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Repair-Wilkins-Model-Lead/dp/B003U1P6BY

Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Could you please post a picture of your current pressure regulator so we can better help you?

It's up to you if you want to rebuild it or not. You'll have to turn water off to house anyway no matter what option you chose. They are not that hard to rebuild, I'm sure you could do it. That being said, IMO, they are just easier to replace. There is probably a union on at least one side of it and threaded on the other, or, you may be lucky and have unions on both ends. Easy swap out - no soldering, just got to make sure you get the exact same one. Please post a pic when you can, we can give you more accurate and better advice. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 04-23-2013 at 05:50 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

You are correct, there is a union below the reg. I had thought that was just a soldered in adapter but it is indeed a union. Just the top of the reg goes into a soldered-on male adapter. I happened to order a complete unit instead of the kit due to the cost being the same and closer shipping. So I'll just replace the entire unit. Should be a piece of cake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Could you please post a picture of your current pressure regulator so we can better help you?

It's up to you if you want to rebuild it or not. You'll have to turn water off to house anyway no matter what option you chose. IMO, sometimes they are just easier to replace. There is probably a union on at leaset one side of it and threaded on the other, or, you may be lucky and have unions on both ends. Easy swap out - no soldering. Clean threads and use pipe dope and teflon. Please post a pic when you can, we can give you more accurate and better advice. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Perfect!

When I mentioned pipe dope and teflon, I meant only use that on a threaded end. Do not put any on unions - none needed. If it's hard getting unions apart use 2 wrenches to take some of the pressure off the pipe.

Should be a piece of cake. Hope everything works out for you. Let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 04-23-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Yeah, I've got plenty of pipe dope and teflon tape around and can handle this kind of job easily. I just needed that nudge to recognize the union. D'ooohhh! And I am a 2 wrench guy whenever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Perfect!

When I mentioned pipe dope and teflon, I meant only use that on a threaded end. Do not put any on unions - none needed. If it's hard getting unions apart use 2 wrenches to take some of the pressure off the pipe.

Should be a piece of cake. Hope everything works out for you. Let us know how you made out. Thanks.
jmon (04-23-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #6

Didn't go exactly as planned but I got 'er done today. My regulator is mounted vertically with the union on the bottom and the top of the valve body screwed on to a 1" male adapter that is soldered onto the outlet pipe. Also there are isolation ball valves on both sides of the regulator so I didn't have to drain my whole system. Nice...

The union came apart easily with my pipe wrench. But the valve body would not be persuaded to screw off the male adapter. Looking closely at the adapter you can see tool marks on the flats, almost rounded off. Those guys put some serious torque on this puppy and it has been there for 17 years. Even with 2 pipe wrenches in opposition and a cheater it would not budge. So it was either cut the thing off and solder in a new stub and adapter which I could do. But I took the easier way out just taking the guts out of the new unit and rebuilding the old one in place.

First I tried just the rubber sealing disc. Put it back together and same thing, pressure creeping up to 83 psi. So then I took the cartridge out of the new unit and popped that in. Problem solved. Pressure now is rock steady where I set it. Gives me a little bit more peace of mind.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Great job raylo32. Sometimes something so simple turns into a nightmare senario. I've had it happen to me many of times. In your case, rebuilding was the way to go, I would of done the same thing. Thanks for sharing your experience with the forum. Glad you got everything working the way you want now.

Last edited by jmon; 04-26-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

It would have been hard to make this a true nightmare but certainly could have been a lot more work if I had twisted off the pipe. Rule #1 should be to never make more work for yourself! BTW, I even tried a torch on the valve body to loosen it up. I might could have got it if I had dragged a buddy over to hold off one of the wrenches. But really no need. The rebuild took like 5 minutes and the only thing left of the original is the valve body, just a big hunk of brass.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Roger that Raylo32. That hunk of brass will probably out live the both of us. I'm glad everything worked out for you. Thanks for sharing.