Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Share |

Repair Utility Sink in Basement

I am in need of some advice on repairing an old cement utility sink in my basement. I'm not sure if it is the trap or something further down the pipe, but the sink will not drain. This is my washing machine runoff drain, so I'd really like to get it working again.

As you can see in the following picture, the old drain fitting is molded into the sink and has rusted out.

How would I determine if it is the trap that is the drainage problem or if it is further down the pipe?

Any advice or how-tos on how to get this sink operational again would be greatly appreciated.

lincolnparkjok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Not sure how to get a new fitting into the sink. An idea- drill around the existing fitting with a masonry drill (many holes), then knock out the old metal fitting. Build a form to hold a new PVC drain and pour concrete around it.

I would bet your clog is in that old drum trap. Unscrew the steel pipe that goes into the tee above the clean out. Install a PVC male adapter into the tee. Run PVC to behind the washer and install a stand pipe with a trap. Install and AAV (air admittance valve) for venting. When you get the concrete tub repaired cut in a sanitary tee in the PVC drain and add a trap for the tub.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

that piece go directly to the 2 strainers that are part of the sink. The only thing thats gonna fix that sink is a sledgehammer . Fiberglass sinks are pretty cheap and easy to install, cut out that old drum trap too
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

A second though. Often those old threaded steel pipe fittings can be a bear to un-thread. If it does not come loose easily, do not horse it too much or you could break something in the stack. Instead use a sawsall to cut the steel pipe about 6" from the tee. Use a Fernco connector to connect to new PVC.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053