Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

repair seamed lead waste pipe

Hello all.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to repair a break in the seam of a lead waste pipe(for kitchen sink) coming out of the foundation of my house. The break is right next to the concrete foundation wall. Attached are a couple of photos.

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
repair seamed lead waste pipe-break-seam-pipe.jpg   repair seamed lead waste pipe-lead-wast-pipe-coming-out-conc-fdn-wall.jpg  

tangier101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I'm assuming you're asking for an answer besides the obvious one. Sometimes the obvious one however difficult it may be is the very best and only course of action. Are you sure it's lead? Orangeburg maybe?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Plumb or Die!

Rip it out. It's already dug up, what's an hour of jack hammering?
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

I could be orangeburg - I am not a plumber and was not familiar with this material until just now when I looked it up. The pipe is sticking out of the basement wall so it is not dug up. It is about 3' below a concrete as it leaves the house. The hardware store suggested propoxy20. Any thoughts about this soulution?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangier101 View Post
I could be orangeburg - I am not a plumber and was not familiar with this material until just now when I looked it up. The pipe is sticking out of the basement wall so it is not dug up. It is about 3' below a concrete as it leaves the house. The hardware store suggested propoxy20. Any thoughts about this soulution?
My thoughts about that solution :

Not really a good idea. It's a weak temporary fix at best. You can already see that the pipe is badly deteriorated. Fixing the leaking spot is not going to repair the rest of the pipe that is having trouble. You can't see if there are any more holes in the piping outside that are going to cause roots to invade and block the line off.

What size is the pipe?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Doing it myself

P.S. Hardware stores often suggest gluing PB piping with CPVC or ABS glue.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My thoughts about that solution :

Not really a good idea. It's a weak temporary fix at best. You can already see that the pipe is badly deteriorated. Fixing the leaking spot is not going to repair the rest of the pipe that is having trouble. You can't see if there are any more holes in the piping outside that are going to cause roots to invade and block the line off.

What size is the pipe?
The pipe is 2". I caused the leak by a ham-handed removal of the old clean-out so that I could install a new one. I don't think I would have damaged the pipe beyond the concrete foundation wall. There is quite a bit of gunk on the inside of the pipe. What about an interior sleeve of some sort. The sleeve would not have to be very long to get past the break.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Chicago, IL

AFAIK, Orangeburg pipe was never widely used as supply plumbing.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #9

If you can chip out a bit of the foundation wall, you can cut the pipe and attach a mission coupling but thats just postponing the inevitable if there is corrosion on the inside.
wood4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
AFAIK, Orangeburg pipe was never widely used as supply plumbing.
OP says it's a waste pipe.

Is it actually soft?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #11

Tangier are you sitting down? You have to replace the pipe in it's entirety there must be a reason you hit it and it split take that as a sign and replace it from where it starts to where it ends, don't forget your ground clamp to the new pipe. Somethings just need to be replaced, I know it sucks and money is tight.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Tangier are you sitting down? You have to replace the pipe in it's entirety there must be a reason you hit it and it split take that as a sign and replace it from where it starts to where it ends, don't forget your ground clamp to the new pipe. Somethings just need to be replaced, I know it sucks and money is tight.
I appreciate all of the feedback - it is clear that the pipe needs to be replaced. Since I am unemployed and short on funds, I have decided to run the kitchen waste pipe through the joist/basement ceiling and connect to the drain pipe on the other side of the house. It will be much much cheaper and I can do it myself. Thanks to all.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangier101 View Post
I appreciate all of the feedback - it is clear that the pipe needs to be replaced. Since I am unemployed and short on funds, I have decided to run the kitchen waste pipe through the joist/basement ceiling and connect to the drain pipe on the other side of the house. It will be much much cheaper and I can do it myself. Thanks to all.
Make sure you do something to appropriately cap/plug the old pipe where it goes through the foundation wall, so that you don't get sewer gas coming back through the line.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Make sure you do something to appropriately cap/plug the old pipe where it goes through the foundation wall, so that you don't get sewer gas coming back through the line.
Thank you. I would not have thought of that.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #15

that looks like galvanized iron pipe rusted out on bottom to me. take a screwdriver and play drums on top side, lead will thud like a wet noodle and actually dent (easy does it),,,iron will ring like a dinner bell

It will be cheaper to replace this line than run clear across house with another IF there us someplace to tie in , even with a no hub coupling.

Million dollar question,,,where does this line lead to???Are you on your own septic or city or central sewer???

Take a hammer and chisel and swing away for small hole to either find end of this pipe or Start of different type,,,like clay etc.

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair lead waste pipe