Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

Share |

Repair Delta one handle bath/shwer faucet

20 year old subject faucet is leaking and I got the repair kit at Lowes. The Lowes guy told me to be very careful not to twist it off when removing the stem nut. Apparently the valve body consists of 2 pieces with the outer part connected to the main body by a couple of 3/8" soft copper tubes that will twist right off if the nut is stubborn, which is almost guaranteed. The Lowes guys said he had personaly replaced at least 100 of these after someone broke them off. Anyone have any tricks to get this nut off without this sort of misfortune?

This web site has some photos that show the valve and a relacement that was needed because the nut wouldn't come off.

http://masterplumber.net/continue/de..._continue.html

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

I have handled delta faucets for over 30 yrs....only had 2 of these that i remember that was so when taking off I like to push down on wrench and watch nut real good for movement....only needs to move alittle so you know it won't break....take off nut remove insides replace insides install nut check for leaks...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

This job is a no go. After spraying with WD40 and allowing some soak time I tried to turn the shaft nut to get at the innards and it won't budge, at least with the amout of torque I am willing to put on it. The whole fixture starts rotating with the torque with no movement in the nut itself. Those 3/8" soft copper connecting tubes have me worried so I am going to leave it for now. Don't need a plumbing emergency during the holidays...
Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #4

20 years old, why not just replace the whole thing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

No way to get at it without cutting through a fiberglass tub/shower surround to cut out the old valve and solder in a new one. More than I am up for while visiting here (parents' house), esp w/o my tools.

edit: also, there are no shut off valves so house would be w/o water for the duration of work. Not good during hoilidays... Gotta wonder sometines how things get built like this. A small plumbing job almost requires a minor remodeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
20 years old, why not just replace the whole thing.

Last edited by raylo32; 12-23-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
This job is a no go. After spraying with WD40 and allowing some soak time I tried to turn the shaft nut to get at the innards and it won't budge, at least with the amout of torque I am willing to put on it. The whole fixture starts rotating with the torque with no movement in the nut itself. Those 3/8" soft copper connecting tubes have me worried so I am going to leave it for now. Don't need a plumbing emergency during the holidays...
if you are sure it won't move Don't force it ..you may have to replace it....this makes 3 now... good thinking wait till after the holidays...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #7

I am not sure it won't break loose but I have never done one of these so I don't know how much force they can take. I am glad I talked to the guy at Lowes however, who is also a licensed plumber. Otherwise I would have assumed the 4 1/2" regular copper pipe connections would have been sufficient and I would have really put some force on it.

Parents will probably hire the guy from Lowes... my dad even knows him by name from previous vists to the store.

Only dripping a drop every 5 seconds or so... and just cold water. So not a crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
if you are sure it won't move Don't force it ..you may have to replace it....this makes 3 now... good thinking wait till after the holidays...
Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

It gets removed from the back side not the enclosher side. All you need to do is remove the handles and escuntions on the shower side.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

The other side is vanity cabinet and drywall. Have to attack that or the enclosure. 6 to one half dozen to the other... or maybe not. Probably more trouble to pull the vanity than to cut and repair the enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It gets removed from the back side not the enclosher side. All you need to do is remove the handles and escuntions on the shower side.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #10

There was suppost to be an access panel for repairs like this anyway on the back side of that wall.
Far better to remove the vanity and do a simple drywall repair then trying to remove a glued on panel with out breaking it then trying to get it to stay stuck back on.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #11

Nope, no access panel here. None in my house either for my stall shower or 2 tubs (all tiled).

I'll let the plumber figure out the best way to attack this one. Hopefully he can get the nut off and fix the existing... and if it breaks go to plan B.

The Following User Says Thank You to raylo32 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-23-2011)