Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

First Post, so please bear with me; thanks
Short version is I am helping with a 50 year old house, they developed a slow drain in the kitchen. Upon digging up the outside drain pipe, I discovered that some time in the past a hole was cut in the pipe , presumably to snake it (which is what we did to relieve current problem); however, now I am left with about a 2 inch chisel cut hole in the pipe that needs to be repaired. The previous patch appeared to be a roof shingle wrapped around the pipe with a wire that rusted away. Anyway, I would like to repair the hole, and ideally, leave it in such a way that if needed it can be reopened. Its right against a join so cutting it out and replacing with a pvc clean out would be a major deal. We are trying to keep cost to a minimum, but willing to do it right. Any ideas would be appreciated.

pic attached (I think)
Attached Thumbnails
Repair Cast Drain Pipe-1-2012-02-26_14-28-42_562.jpg  

strickja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

Id cut it just past the hub on one end and far enough past the whole to install a long sweep pvc wye in there with a short piece of pipe and a fernco on each end to tie it all back together.
Then Id run a piece of pvc pipe up to ground level and just stick a cap on it for a future cleanout.
A double cleanout would be best,but atleast this way you atleast get a single out of the deal

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

Thanks for the quick reply, I think I follow most of it, basically cut the pipe on either side, put a sweep pvc joint in place, join the new pvc to the old iron with a seal; the pipe is only 7 inches deep, so putting a cap for future access is easy. So I will call that Option 1.

IF we just wanted to repair the hole, is there a bondo type product for a permanent seal ?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #4

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

It would be even better to just replace that whole line and add the clean out while you were doing it.
The pipe that's there now has seen better days. Will not be long before it collapes or rust out and start leaking.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

Nothing Id trust underground anyway,thats why I figure if you need to cut the pipe to repair it you might as well install a cleanout at same time
A saw zall and a pack of 14 tpi blades should make fairly easy work of the old c.i
Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

I suspected as much; we would like to avoid replacing the whole line; the other end of the section you see ends UNDER a concrete slab patio that was added sometime after original construction, and we aren't getting into that unless we have to. Would you cut before or after the join by the hole; that join turns down about 30 degrees to follow the hill. I am afraid there won't be enough before the join to tie the pvc clean out into the old iron. hole is just in an awkward place. Sawzall I have, what blades do you recommend ?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

Id cut it just past the bell/hub then far enough back the other way to fit the wye in there with about 1/4" gap on each end to allow for the fernco fittings should be fine.
I like the 14 tpi blades around 8" long to cut 4" pipe without hitting inside of pipe
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #8

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

They make sawall blade with tungston carbide instead of teeth that will make it easer to cut. I saw a demo at a tool show where they cut a whole car in half in under 3 min. so I'm sure they will cut that pipe fine.
Your stuck with having to cut it on the left of that hub and to the right past the hole that's there.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #9

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

Thanks again, needed that boost of confirming opinion to make sure I was headed in the right direction. I am pretty much a generalist with an emphasis on electrical and woodworking, so I am a little unsure when it comes to the plumbing stuff. Looks like a trip to Lowes is in order. Now, if I can figure out why the pipes in the kitchen hammer after the toilet flushes I can go back out to the shop LOL .

thanks again, I have been researching on this site for a while and its a wonderful community.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

Check the fill valve/fluid master in your toilet
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

Repair Cast Drain Pipe

Will do - what's a fill valve again ? just kidding, I ll come back for that after I get the drain pipe finished. I have already done some searches , so I have a general direction but one new challenge at a time. Again, really appreciate the help from everyone.