DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Repacing valve in a pressurized pipe (

OldHen 03-03-2009 06:44 AM

Repacing valve in a pressurized pipe
I have a master shut-off that is stuck open (turning valve does nothing). The city is unable to locate the curb-side shutoff for the property, and says they will have to shut off the whole row of townhouses to turn my water off.

The supply comes through the concrete floor, and the valve is only about 12 inches from the floor. I know there are freezing solutions, but I'm afraid the short length from the floor combined with sweating an extension would melt the blockage. I could add a working valve above the faulty one, but of course it would be nicer to remove the bad valve.

Any ideas on how to replace a valve in a pressurized pipe?

Bob Mariani 03-03-2009 06:57 AM

Yes, tell the city it is their problem to find their shutoff and you need the water shut off. Do the job right, don't try to find workarounds.

Bondo 03-03-2009 08:35 AM


Or,.. Just cut off the existing valve,+ put a new Compression type Ball Valve in it's place....

Yes,.. You'll probably get alittle Wet,... But it Works...

DUDE! 03-03-2009 04:39 PM

A little wet?, I would think water coming in from that pipe has to be a lot, I guess in theory, if you are ready with your parts and a towel to keep the water out of your eyes, it would be alright. No offense here, I think its funny in a nice way. As far as the city goes, yeah, its up to them to find their shut-off.

Bondo 03-03-2009 05:13 PM

When I did the 1" coming into 1 of my houses,...
It was a clear shot for the water to fall onto the floor,...
Cutting the old 1 out is easy enough,.. About the time it leaks,+ it's Off...
With the Ball Valve Open,... I just slipped it on, tightened it down,...
Then turned it off....
I actually didn't get Wet at All,... But the OP says his is pointing Up.....A Bucket might help control the stream...

biggles 03-03-2009 05:45 PM

the city shut off should be just bearly onto your property as typical as either neighbors is,and it is their problem 100%.setup the inside work for yourself and wait.might consider calling a local plumber they might have a clue to its location with working n the area:eek: and they might come out and give you a general area it has to be in.then the water company is guessing at your readings :huh::huh::huh: for billing?

Gary_602z 03-03-2009 07:04 PM

Just don't pay your water bill for a quarter or two then they will find the shutoff!:laughing:


Plumberguy 03-05-2009 12:31 PM

There are freeze systems out there to allow for you to freeze a pressurized line and install a new valve above the old one. I used these in my career in maintenance. They do work. You will have to get a competent Plumber to do this and should have the equipment to perform this task. You might be able to rent a freeze outfit from a rental store, but I have never seen one at them. There is always a way.

metx 03-05-2009 02:22 PM

when i need to do i live line (on the fly) if copper I use a jet sweet you stick it in through the valve and it will stop the water then you can either sweat a new valve or compression valve .BUT that is only if the city wont shut the sr\treet main

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1