Renter Seeking Advice For Sealing Around Pipes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Newbie; Clueless

Rewards Points: 10

Renter seeking advice for sealing around pipes

I'm renting a ground level "apartment" in a split up home with a dank, scary basement. I don't have too many complaints but there is a strange odor in the kitchen and bathroom. It is a sort of acrid, varnish-like smell.

I have gaps between the woodwork and virtually every pipe in the place. Even if the odor isn't coming from the basement, I'd like to pest-proof these sites and would appreciate the expertise of the community. Here are my problem spots:

The first image is under the bathroom sink. There is about a 1/2-inch gap between the pipe and the mysterious dark. The second image is a valve. It wobbles to the touch and I would prefer to seal it if possible. I will make another post for other problem spots.

How would you seal these areas for pests and odors?
Attached Thumbnails
Renter seeking advice for sealing around pipes-picture-video-091.jpg   Renter seeking advice for sealing around pipes-picture-video-093.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by bookryder; 07-07-2010 at 07:37 PM.
bookryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Newbie; Clueless

Rewards Points: 10

Now we move on to the kitchen. As you can see, there was some previous water damage. The drywall is bone dry but fragile. There is a large hole for an electrical cord (garbage disposal?), that is 2.5 inches at the widest. There is some additional plumbing suffering from the cracking, but the gaps are mostly less than an inch away from the pipe.

What would you use to seal these spaces from odors and pests?
Attached Thumbnails
Renter seeking advice for sealing around pipes-picture-video-094.jpg   Renter seeking advice for sealing around pipes-picture-video-095.jpg   Renter seeking advice for sealing around pipes-picture-video-096.jpg  

Advertisement

bookryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

I'd suggest clear painters caulk For the small gaps---Great stuff blue can for the larger ones.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Low expansion spray foam?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Low expansion-yes--less likely to move the piping--easier to remove later.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote