Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |

Removing Well Water Sediment

I have a friend that bought a house in rural, SE Tennessee. He has a water well that produces enough water for his whole house, but the water is loaded with sediment. It's not sand, but more like fine silt. He has two pleated paper cartridge filters, one before his storage tank and one after, but they require weekly cleaning. The well drillers say that a new well will likely be that same and there is no guarantee about the water quality of a new well. Does anyone have an idea about how he can filter the water more effectively and reduce the cost of the replacement water filter cartridges? Would some kind of settling basin be a possibility for a whole house supply?
czars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

Has he checked to see if the intake from the well is not sitting on the bottom?
They sell sand tanks. there nothing more then an empty horizontal tank.
The sand settles to the bottom of the tank before any filters down line have to deal with it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Before getting too enthusiastic about a sediment tank, catch a sample before the filter and check to determine if the particulate has a specific gravity greater than water. If not, a sediment tank will have no value.

My well required a sediment tank because of sand. A sediment tank can be an elaborate engineered piece of equipment or so simple many would scratch their head and wonder "why didn't i think of that".

If I can find time in my busy retired schedule I'll post a pic of the one I invented that's been in service for - - let me think a second - - - - - about 29 years now.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

First thing would be to get a water sample ahead of any filter and take it to someone to have it tested to find out exactly what is in the water. To invest in anything before knowing what you're dealing with is potentially just a waste of time and money.

The test should be able to identify what material or contaminants are in the water and what size they are. Both things need to be known to figure out the best solution for removing "it".
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote