DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Removing water valve (

El Guapo 09-19-2010 10:28 PM

Removing water valve
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I just bought a home so I suppose I will be on here pretty often.

I installed a new kitchen sink. However, the valve to the hot water supply was very difficult to shut off. It is very old. I think something cracked inside as I cranked it to the off position. I got everything configured and working, but the next day I noticed the valve was dripping a little bit. I tried to turn it off, but it would leak even when it was turned all the way off.

To make a long story short, I'm trying to put in a new valve that I bought. However, I can't remove the old one. I shut off the hot water supply leading to the valve. I am able to turn the valve with a wrench and a bit of force, but no matter how much I turn it counter-clockwise, it will not come off (it does turn, but it doesn't seem to get any looser). I have probably turned it all the way around 100 or so times, but I have noticed no change.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. I'd love to have hot water running again by tomorrow!

the_man 09-19-2010 11:25 PM

sounds like a compression valve. Do you have copper pipe? You put one wrench on the nut on the bottom, and one wrench on the valve. Turn the nut on the bottom off of the valve. Use a pair of channellocks to wiggle the ferrule in the middle off, or if necessary reuse the old nut and ring

PaliBob 09-20-2010 12:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty welcome to the Forum

I agree with post #2 in that it sounds like your shut off valve is a compression fitting. The part closest to the wall that looks like a nut has to be turned in a cw direction while the main body is held in a stationary position.

The alternate method of course is to hold the hex part closest to the wall stationary while turning the main body ccw, Whichever way is easier.

A better type replacement Angle Stop than the most common round handle valve is an Angle Stop that uses a Ball Valve. The small lever handle is turned 90 deg to completely turn the water ON or OFF. Ball valve Angle Stops are available at better plumbing supply houses for around $10.

Note:The Ball Valve pictured may not look exactly like the replacement best fitted for your application. The easiest way is to take your valve not to a big Box store but to a supply house where the plumbers go for supplies.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1