Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Share |

Removing wall mount sink connector

HI Am replacing older wall mount adjustable width kitchen faucet. Installation seems easy enough..but am stumped removing old one. What is best tool for removing old connector? I have basic tools, Teflon tape, WD etc.l but want to use correct ?? to put pressure to loosen connector. Also , removing old faucet, I noted nut was attached to connector and not in the usual fashion connector to back piece.( noted nut to remove f turned right to loosen?) .will try to attach pics..hope they are not too huge or too small to see..first timer here
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall mount sink connector-imag0011.jpg   Removing wall mount sink connector-oldnewfau.jpg  

Last edited by OldHomeJen; 11-25-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: problems attaching photo
OldHomeJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #2

Yep, pictures will help. Here's some how to's to post pictures- http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/

BTW- welcome to DIY Chatroom

The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
OldHomeJen (11-25-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Thanks..I was able to post pictures..I am in Northern CA. New faucet is easy to install.Have old home now..NO shut off valves under sinks..Old unit chews wahers and it a geyser. Simply want advice on, do I use a crescent, a pipe wrench, self adjusting pliers...to pull the old connector off my wall. Would like to avoid plumber as instal is so easy. would also like to have running water ASAP
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Use an adjustable wrench on the flat part of the fitting shown in your first picture.
Hopefully the fitting will spin off leaving a nipple in the wall that you can reapply teflon tape and pipe dope to for the new fitting.
Or, they will come out with the fitting. In that case it will probably be easier to replace the nipples (galvanized or brass). Hand tighten them into the faucet fitting, screw into the wall and tighten with a wrench.

The trim plates are adjustable so the nipple length is not overly critical. But they both must extend the exact same length out of the wall.
You can also set the fittings at angles to match the nipple spread and also help to level the new faucet.
Be sure the union washers are in place when you mount the faucet to the fittings.
Remember- only use smooth jaw tools on chrome unless you want to look at jaw marks all the time.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

Also--
If the new faucet is identical to the old one you should be able to leave the fittings on the wall. They don't affect the leaky part. Just replace the union gaskets and faucet body
Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #6

Thanks Leaning everyday..I dont care about marks on the old one..tool tip is great. AS both faucets were wall mount adjustable width, I thought the connecting area would be the same..in pic 1 u can see the tightening nut is attached to wall piece..in pic 2 u can see new faucet, and every one I looked at, had tightening nut attached to faucet.....now i Have to check my glossary of terms....I thought these were just two pipe ends coming out of wall..u r suggesting these are nipples to the actual hot cold pipes?? They extend into the wall......I have a wonderful cabin but it is from a time where folks had a few beers in this unincorporated town and said..lets build another wall...the whole place, all walls and studs , roof to ceiling has been replaced..new pipes from tankless installed in basement up to sink...again my fear is messing up these pipe ends which the original DIYers installed...adjustable is needed as its a bit off of 8 inches....I think I will ger larger wrench with some weight..spray WD ...the angle is difficult as its leaning to the left...am wondering if a slight tap with a plastic mallet or another ?? might help it get going...no rust seen on pipes....thanks for advice and will put more concise pics up
Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

Look at the fitting in the lower picture- it has female threads under the trim ring.
That screws onto a nipple in the wall, which in turn is screwed into a 90 mounted inside the wall. I have found that it's 50/50 as to whether the nipple stays in the 90 or unscrews when removing the faucet fitting.
One thing to watch for is that you don't break the 90 or the pipe inside the wall. You haven't mentioned what kind of pipe you're working with. Hopefully- copper or galvanized. Plastic isn't as forgiving.

Again, if the faucet is an identical replacement, you could leave the fittings on the wall and attach the new faucet body. Or, if the stems are leaking or the faucet drips, consider just rebuilding the stems and seats.

If all goes well, it should take less than an hour to change out the faucet though- not really too difficult. Good luck