Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

removing some baseboard heating

For the third year since we moved into a newly renovated (and completely gutted house) my son has been living in a sauna during the cold winter months. Too much baseboard was installed in his bedroom. Despite the air conditioner and ceiling fan running at full steam, it is well over 100 degrees.

I have asked a couple of plumbers and one recommended we remove about 2 feet of "fins" that hold the heat; the quick fix would save money. Didn't work and seems that no one else wants to touch it.

Help, the climate in the room is nauseating. Thank you.

-Susque

Susque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

Baseboard works by convection, the heat pulls the cold air in the bottom and hot air comes out the top. A low tech solution would be to block off the airflow at the bottom and close the louvers at the top. You should be able to control the overheating. Is anything hindering the airflow in the other radiators on that zone?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

What other rooms does the "sauna" share a zone with?
How many feet of baseboard is in there?
How much is in the rest of the rooms on the same zone?
How many zones do you have?
Are you on a slab? Is this first floor or second floor?

You really have two choices. The first is simply to remove some of the baseboard. You can just drop below the floor and pick up at the other end of the pipe eliminating a section.
The other option is to eliminate all the baseboard in that room from the zones loop and make it a separate zone. This is more labor and material but gaurenteed to work and make it more comfortable.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Baseboard works by convection, the heat pulls the cold air in the bottom and hot air comes out the top. A low tech solution would be to block off the airflow at the bottom and close the louvers at the top. You should be able to control the overheating. Is anything hindering the airflow in the other radiators on that zone?

All other radiators/baseboards work well. It's just that baseboards were installed in half of the room in question. We tried to close the louvers (are they the slats on top of the board?) Also, how do I block off the flow? Water also passes through the pipes. Truly appreciate your help
Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

How many feet of radiator are in this room?
What's the size of the room?
How many exterior walls does the room have?
How was this room added to the heat plumbing? Is it "T"ed into the main line?
Is the baseboard in the other rooms on this zone fully functional (especially the room that has the thermostat? Louvers wide open, nothing in front of the baseboard that could affect airflow through it?
Could something else be heating the room?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
How many feet of radiator are in this room?
What's the size of the room? approx. 10 x 12
How many exterior walls does the room have? 3
How was this room added to the heat plumbing? Is it "T"ed into the main line? I believe so. I will verify.
Is the baseboard in the other rooms on this zone fully functional (especially the room that has the thermostat? Louvers wide open, nothing in front of the baseboard that could affect airflow through it? Yes, fully functional. The thermostat was installed in the wall in the corridor which controls all 4 rooms; 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.
Could something else be heating the room?
A computer sometimes adds heat; but even when turned off at night, the room is extremely hot.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susque View Post
For the third year since we moved into a newly renovated (and completely gutted house) my son has been living in a sauna during the cold winter months. Too much baseboard was installed in his bedroom. Despite the air conditioner and ceiling fan running at full steam, it is well over 100 degrees.

I have asked a couple of plumbers and one recommended we remove about 2 feet of "fins" that hold the heat; the quick fix would save money. Didn't work and seems that no one else wants to touch it.

Help, the climate in the room is nauseating. Thank you.

-Susque
the simple solution is to take the cover off of the baseboard heater. Then cover a section of the coils up with tin foil, completly wrap the coils up. Don't use cheap tin foil as it rips to easily when wrapping. Problem solved with out a plumber or physically removing a section or spending more than 5 dollars

monk4270 is offline   Reply With Quote