Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing solid shower base with marble chips

I am remodeling a shower after finding a lead shower pan had worn out and caused a leak in the walls. The base is poured and handmade with what appears to be marble chips. How do I remove this? Will a masonry blade on a skill saw work?

Is there a way to water proof a shower base after the shower pan has become nonexistent?

WoozyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

rotary hammer with a chisel bit. after you get the old out use a neporene skin. do you homework here or what you spend time and money on will leak too. call in a tile man or two or three for an estimate and get him to explain how he would do it. be curious. ask questions. most pros like to tell you how much they know. then decide if you want to jump on the horse yourself. if not, which one did you feel knew best what to do here. this is a project where the cheapest price shouldn't be the deciding factor. thanks, bb

buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

i meant neoprene. also, if you don't have the rotary hammer maybe a regular drill with masonry bit will do it. possibly just a cold chisel and hammer. once it is started it should get easier. you can hurt yourself bad with a hammer and chisel. broke hands come easy this way. the store sells a cold chisel with a big guard on it. if you are a novice that might save you a lot of pain. a saw with a masonry blade might help, but dust will be a factor doing it that way. if you live in the house being worked on you can tick the little lady off quick this way. once you have got a little out usually the space started will let you pry more out toward the hole you created. thanks, bb
buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, shower pan, tile