Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing a soldered brass water cap?

How do i do it? Can i just shut the water for the house off and re-heat the solder to get the cap off? I don't have enough pipe to cut it off. It's time to hook up my new pedastil sink and use my new compression fittings.

squid226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

Yep, you could indeed heat it up with a torch, gently grab the cap with a pair of insulated-handle pliers (or wear good gloves), and twist back and forth until it comes loose. (Don't heat it with the pliers on the whole time, or all the heat will transfer to the pliers instead of the cap).

Clean the stub of the pipe with emery cloth first and get it nice and smooth before applying the compression fittings. In fact, you may have to "sand" off all the old solder first to get the ferrel ring to slip on. (You can wipe it with a cloth while still hot to get some solder off, too).

And before all that, yes, turn off the water to that bathroom (or the whole house). Open up a faucet or two above the bathroom (or on the same floor) and below the bath if possible to allow water to drain from the pipe. It will take a loooong time to heat up that solder if there's water in the stub.

Also, if it's that close to the finished wall, be very careful with that flame! You can pick up a fireproof mat at Home Depot for a few bucks if you can't get the torch in there without pointing it towards the wall.

If it's soldered, it's probably a copper cap, BTW.

ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

That should work.

My question is why don't you have enough pipe to cut it off?

If it is at a connection like a T or elbow that is reasonable. Just be careful about loosening the other joints.

If it is at the wall be very careful of starting a fire. I have seen these before and it is not pretty.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

If there is water all the way up to the cap, it is going to be a bear to unsweat. After shutting off the water, open other faucets near this cap. Try heating it to remove. If it doesn't release, you are going to need to drill a hole in the cap to allow water and steam to escape.