Removing The Shower/tub Diverter - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing the shower/tub Diverter

Hi,

I've read a few threads on here about diverters and removing them. However nothing has worked with mine.

I have a deep socket that fits on the nut to the diverter and have tried to get it loose/out and everything has failed so far.

The unit is a 3 handle Gerber probably from late 60's. Is there a special tool for this? I really wanted to get this off and take it to HD to find a replacement rather than make two trips to get this job done. I've attached 2 pics

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the shower/tub Diverter-house-001.jpg   Removing the shower/tub Diverter-house-002.jpg  

Advertisement

Kathy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,554

yes they are called tub wrench....but your socket should work also...what i do is chip away alittle ceramic tile so you have room for wrench or socket be careful not to crack tile ...this is going to be tight....sometimes really tight... but it should break free...take it out slowly watch for small ring washer...

Advertisement

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-05-2011 at 06:53 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
yes they are called tub wrench....but your socket should work also...what i do is chip away alittle ceramic tile so you have room for wrench or socket be careful not to crack tile ...this is going to be tight....sometimes really tight... but it should break free...take it out slowly watch for small ring washer...

Would the tub wrench work better than the socket? I've already had to chip away some of the tile on the left side (very very thin piece) to get the socket to lock on. Then I tried vice grips on the socket it slipped around it more than anything. So I tried a piece of rubber drawer liner on the socket, helped but still couldn't get it to break free. Maybe after my hands have a rest I can try it again. How about oiling it overnight, would that work or should I not bother? This is such a pain.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 175

also if a crescent wrench will fit in there that will work also.
plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

they are flush to the surface so you have to use a socket...you need 14-15"leverage bar on socket to break free....if you have pipe wrench lock in on socket push down with weight " NO DISRESPECT" remember your turning to the left.....
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
they are flush to the surface so you have to use a socket...you need 14-15"leverage bar on socket to break free....if you have pipe wrench lock in on socket push down with weight " NO DISRESPECT" remember your turning to the left.....

Okay, so is pushing down with weight the key here? Or just helpful? I will try that with the socket tonight if it doesn't work, then I will have to go get a pipe wrench in the morning. I will let you know how it goes once I get it out.

Thanks very much for your help....oh, no disrespect taken, but yes lefty loosey is a must for removal.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy65 View Post
Okay, so is pushing down with weight the key here? Or just helpful? I will try that with the socket tonight if it doesn't work, then I will have to go get a pipe wrench in the morning. I will let you know how it goes once I get it out.

Thanks very much for your help....oh, no disrespect taken, but yes lefty loosey is a must for removal.
it really is helpful to you because it does take some arm strength......I have had my fill of theseover the years...glad to help let me know how you make out
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
it really is helpful to you because it does take some arm strength......I have had my fill of theseover the years...glad to help let me know how you make out

Yaay! I got it out with the use of the socket wrench thingy! Now, I have a question before I install the new one, How tight do I need to screw it in? And anything else I should know about putting the new one in?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the shower/tub Diverter-photo-0312.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #9

good job thats a tub wrench...if you can put alittle facuet lube on threads and reinstall snug it up you don't have to over kill it,,,,check for leaks...
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
good job thats a tub wrench...if you can put alittle facuet lube on threads and reinstall snug it up you don't have to over kill it,,,,check for leaks...

Okay, I will do that then, So I don't need to put as much force to install it as I did to get it off?

Thank You so much for all your help with this, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #11

welcome ....thanks for the smile....yes just snug it ..that little red gasket seal easy......

Advertisement

Kathy65 (12-06-2011)