Removing The Shower/tub Diverter - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


Hi,

I've read a few threads on here about diverters and removing them. However nothing has worked with mine.

I have a deep socket that fits on the nut to the diverter and have tried to get it loose/out and everything has failed so far.

The unit is a 3 handle Gerber probably from late 60's. Is there a special tool for this? I really wanted to get this off and take it to HD to find a replacement rather than make two trips to get this job done. I've attached 2 pics

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the shower/tub Diverter-house-001.jpg   Removing the shower/tub Diverter-house-002.jpg  

Advertisement

Kathy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,620
Rewards Points: 2,554
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


yes they are called tub wrench....but your socket should work also...what i do is chip away alittle ceramic tile so you have room for wrench or socket be careful not to crack tile ...this is going to be tight....sometimes really tight... but it should break free...take it out slowly watch for small ring washer...

Advertisement


Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-05-2011 at 06:53 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
yes they are called tub wrench....but your socket should work also...what i do is chip away alittle ceramic tile so you have room for wrench or socket be careful not to crack tile ...this is going to be tight....sometimes really tight... but it should break free...take it out slowly watch for small ring washer...

Would the tub wrench work better than the socket? I've already had to chip away some of the tile on the left side (very very thin piece) to get the socket to lock on. Then I tried vice grips on the socket it slipped around it more than anything. So I tried a piece of rubber drawer liner on the socket, helped but still couldn't get it to break free. Maybe after my hands have a rest I can try it again. How about oiling it overnight, would that work or should I not bother? This is such a pain.
Kathy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 175
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


also if a crescent wrench will fit in there that will work also.
plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,620
Rewards Points: 2,554
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


they are flush to the surface so you have to use a socket...you need 14-15"leverage bar on socket to break free....if you have pipe wrench lock in on socket push down with weight " NO DISRESPECT" remember your turning to the left.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
they are flush to the surface so you have to use a socket...you need 14-15"leverage bar on socket to break free....if you have pipe wrench lock in on socket push down with weight " NO DISRESPECT" remember your turning to the left.....

Okay, so is pushing down with weight the key here? Or just helpful? I will try that with the socket tonight if it doesn't work, then I will have to go get a pipe wrench in the morning. I will let you know how it goes once I get it out.

Thanks very much for your help....oh, no disrespect taken, but yes lefty loosey is a must for removal.
Kathy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,620
Rewards Points: 2,554
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy65 View Post
Okay, so is pushing down with weight the key here? Or just helpful? I will try that with the socket tonight if it doesn't work, then I will have to go get a pipe wrench in the morning. I will let you know how it goes once I get it out.

Thanks very much for your help....oh, no disrespect taken, but yes lefty loosey is a must for removal.
it really is helpful to you because it does take some arm strength......I have had my fill of theseover the years...glad to help let me know how you make out
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
it really is helpful to you because it does take some arm strength......I have had my fill of theseover the years...glad to help let me know how you make out

Yaay! I got it out with the use of the socket wrench thingy! Now, I have a question before I install the new one, How tight do I need to screw it in? And anything else I should know about putting the new one in?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the shower/tub Diverter-photo-0312.jpg  
Kathy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,620
Rewards Points: 2,554
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


good job thats a tub wrench...if you can put alittle facuet lube on threads and reinstall snug it up you don't have to over kill it,,,,check for leaks...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
good job thats a tub wrench...if you can put alittle facuet lube on threads and reinstall snug it up you don't have to over kill it,,,,check for leaks...

Okay, I will do that then, So I don't need to put as much force to install it as I did to get it off?

Thank You so much for all your help with this, I really appreciate it!
Kathy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,620
Rewards Points: 2,554
Default

Removing the shower/tub Diverter


welcome ....thanks for the smile....yes just snug it ..that little red gasket seal easy......

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Kathy65 (12-06-2011)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
removing bathtub faucet diverter xconx Plumbing 6 10-10-2011 12:17 PM
Remove V Shaped Rain Diverter Above Door? AllanJ Roofing/Siding 1 09-05-2011 03:39 PM
Shower Diverter questions... dgates12 Plumbing 3 07-29-2010 08:15 PM
Kitchen Faucet + shower diverter: Need help xtrips Plumbing 1 02-14-2010 04:27 PM
Need Advice - Removing Bath Wall Tile Soxckersfc2002 Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 6 02-01-2010 11:49 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts