Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Share |

Removing Pex

Is there a trick or tool that can remove pex tube from the fitting it is attached to?
I was installing pex with the expander tool and made a mistake. So I cut the tube close to the brass fitting and got the torch and softened the pex ring and carfully slid it off with a screwdriver. Corrected my mistake and everything went smoothly from there. But, I was thinking, if it had been one of the plastic fittings I never would have been able to torch it off. It there another way or do you just throw the fitting away in a situation like that?

HairClog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Removing Pex

I've seen a crimp ring removal tool, but not one for uponor. My tricks for HDPE pipe are boiling water and a razor blade, I'm sure it would work for the pex too

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Removing Pex

If you're using plastic fittings. I'd toss them. From what I understandm, once the "teeth" on the barbed fitting get nicked in any way, a leak is imminent...

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Removing Pex

Same is true for brass fittings. I use the Wirsbo fittings, and I generally remove the PEX from the fitting by cutting the ring with a knife, then slitting the PEX over the fitting, then I throw out the fitting, since I almost always nick the fitting with the blade. I have been told by persons who claim to have done it that the boiling water trick works, and can allow you to slip off the PEX without damaging the fitting, but I have never successfully done it. Cheaper and faster to toss the fitting.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote