Removing Outside Water Spicket/faucet That Is Leaking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 171

Removing outside water spicket/faucet that is leaking

I have a faucet outside for the hose. Looks like 3/4 Zinc pipe coming out of the wall. I went to Lowes and the guy said buy the 1/2 with a compression fitting and the 3/4" with a female end to avoid making an extra trip.

I said what do I need to get it off. I have vicegrips and an adjustible wrench. He said get Channel Lock. I got a 12" ChannelLock. They had 14 and 15". To take it off go counter clockwise? I shut off the water to the house. The painter had painted over the fitting.

I am not weak but I cannot budge it with a Channel Lock. Should I go to Harbor Freight and get a plumber wrench?

He did not see me any tape or anything else. The new fittings are brass. Any suggestions on changing this? Thanks.

Frank Lardino

Advertisement

Last edited by FrankL; 07-17-2010 at 11:15 PM.
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Did you remove the two screws holding the faucet in place to your house (may be heavily painted over)? Also, it may be soldered, instead of being screwed into a threaded fitting on the supply pipe.
If the screws are removed and it is in a threaded fitting, you should be able to unscrew it counter-clockwise. If it were me, I would use some pipe dope on that 3/4" female fitting to screw the hosebibb back onto the threaded fitting on the end of the pipe, if that's what it is.
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
Did you remove the two screws holding the faucet in place to your house (may be heavily painted over)? Also, it may be soldered, instead of being screwed into a threaded fitting on the supply pipe.
If the screws are removed and it is in a threaded fitting, you should be able to unscrew it counter-clockwise. If it were me, I would use some pipe dope on that 3/4" female fitting to screw the hosebibb back onto the threaded fitting on the end of the pipe, if that's what it is.
Good Luck!
Mike
Thanks Mike. I am looking for the screws but no sign. Any suggestions besides the 12" ChannelLock. I just cannot seem to get the muscle to move it.

Frank Lardino
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

lefty loosey,righty tighty?can't ya just put in a new washer?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
lefty loosey,righty tighty?can't ya just put in a new washer?
Thanks. LOL! This is easy to remember. Excellent.

I asked the guy at Lowes and he recommened the whole assembly for $6 to save a trip. I know how to do showers and sinks with cartridges etc.

I guess the front part has the washer on the outside faucet/spigot. I still have to take a wrench and get the front part off??? I am not sure.

I found this on the web.

Next, turn the outdoor faucet to the full on position to relieve any pressure in it and to allow the water to fully drain from the faucet.

Now, using a screwdriver remove the screw that holds the handle onto the faucet.

With the screw removed, pull the handle off.
After removing the faucet handle, use a wrench to remove the faucet nut that sits back behind the handle.

Replace Washer and Clean Internal Faucet Area

Typically it is the washer that sits behind the faucet nut (sillcock nut) that fails. Remove it with your fingers or small screw driver and examine it for damage or wear. If you see either, replace the washer. Also, make sure the internal faucet (sillcock) is free from dirt and grime. If there is grime in it, flush it out with water.

I need to find some pictures. Sorry to be a pest.

I will try but that 12" ChannelLock does not appear to be cutting it. I will try to get the paint off. Any wrench suggestions? Thanks again.

Frank Lardino
Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

An adjustable wrench (aka "Crescent wrench) will also do it.
I can't imagine a spigot being that hard to unscrew.
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote