Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
ex tiler / shop owner

Share |
Question

removing one rad causing another to stop.

Hi Guys!

This may already be here somewhere but I can't find it.

I am a tiler by trade, not a plumber. I have removed one of our bedroom rads to patch up the plaster underneath and the rad in the second bedroom has stopped working. I have checked the combi boiler and there is still pressure. Tried bleeding the cold rad and it is under pressure and full as water comes out. All of the other rads in the house are working fine.

Does this mean that when I re attach the rad and turn it on the second rad will start working or do I have to do something else?

I would be v grateful for any advice

Regards

Martin.

diydisasterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #2

If the rads are piped in series (pipe is continuous from each rad to the next) and you capped off the removed rad, you may have interrupted the water flow to the cold one.
If not in series, then perhaps there is an air block? Is there a thermostat on the rad that is cold?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
ex tiler / shop owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
If the rads are piped in series (pipe is continuous from each rad to the next) and you capped off the removed rad, you may have interrupted the water flow to the cold one.
If not in series, then perhaps there is an air block? Is there a thermostat on the rad that is cold?
Hi, I wondered if they were in series but don't know how to tell.

Yes there is a TRV on the cold rad. I've got it on maximum & as I said, when I use the rad key on it water comes out. Does that mean there's not an air block?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

How many zones do you have? Is there a separate themostat for the radiator that you removed, or was it controlled by the thermostat on the cold radiator? When you removed the radiator, did you simply cap the lines. Just a few rhetorical things to look at, but my guess would be that Bob is right; you probably need to connect the two lines from each side of the radiator that you removed.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
ex tiler / shop owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
How many zones do you have? Is there a separate themostat for the radiator that you removed, or was it controlled by the thermostat on the cold radiator? When you removed the radiator, did you simply cap the lines. Just a few rhetorical things to look at, but my guess would be that Bob is right; you probably need to connect the two lines from each side of the radiator that you removed.
Thanks for the clarification.

We have only one room stat (downstairs) but each rad except the bathroom has a TRV. I'm hoping that when I re connect it things will be ok. I was just a little worried that i'd made a mess of things.

Martin.