Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Removing old toilet flange

This whole project is getting out of hand - the old domino theory. My intent was to lay a new ceramic tile floor. Anticipated removing the old (1970) 1 inch tiles, doing a bit of sub floor repair and laying the new tile. Well...the sub floor is very rotted out between the tub and the toilet. Will need to be replaced right down to the joists. My current question is...how do you remove the old toilet flange? Again, this is a 1970 raised ranch (this is the bathroom on the main living level). Pipe is cast iron. Flange is metal. Pipe is 3". I do not have any access from below. Finished floor will probably be slightly higher than the current floor. Any suggestions would be very welcomed! Thanks.
craftycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #2

You have just ran into a real nightmare. They usually leaded those old flanges in there and there is no easy way to get them out. If you have no access from below forget it. Why not leave it? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. If the finished floor is higher, they make thicker wax rings to make up the difference and I have even stacked rings before with no problems. Getting that thing out will take an act of congress.
ryaniniowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #3

Smile

Thanks for your response. While the flange wasn't broken, both layers of sub floor needed replacing. Necessity is the mother of invention! We finally got that pesky flange off - my husband "unsweated" it. Turns out the flange was brass and the pipe was 3" copper. Layed 2 sheets of new sub floor. Cut a 1/2 inch plywood ring the size of the flange to use under the flange so I wouldn't have to drill/screw through the new tile. To sweat the flange back on, my husband drilled 2 slanted holes through the sub floor just big enough to slide the solder through. He then heated the pipe from the inside. We then tiled up to the edge of the ply ring. Pretty ingenious, eh?
craftycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #4

yeah copper you have a chance with, that old lead/cast is another story. way to go!
ryaniniowa is offline   Reply With Quote