Removing Kitchen Drain Pipe From Wall - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Removing kitchen drain pipe from wall

The metal nut that connects the kitchen drain pipe has cracked and is leaking. I can't remove the drain pipe from the wall so I can slide a new nut over the pipe. It seems to have a plastic washer firmly wedged in there or maybe it's rusted together. I've tried to turn the bare pipe with a pipe wrench to loosen it up but the wrench won't grip the bare pipe. What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing kitchen drain pipe from wall-pipe1.jpg   Removing kitchen drain pipe from wall-pipe2.jpg  

Advertisement

diyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Okay, I would cut the brass trap arm even with the end of the steel pipe sticking out of the wall, and get a "fernco" adapter-1 1/2" pipe size x 1 1/2" outside diameter tubing and use that to connect the two.

Advertisement

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Okay, I would cut the brass trap arm even with the end of the steel pipe sticking out of the wall, and get a "fernco" adapter-1 1/2" pipe size x 1 1/2" outside diameter tubing and use that to connect the two.
Are you thinking I shouldn't try to pull the trap arm out of the wall because I could cause a leak behind the wall? I'm on the third floor in an apartment building.

How would you cut the trap arm? I'd really rather not do that though since I'm renting. Can I connect a Fernco adapter below the trap arm "lip"?

Any other options?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

Why are you fixing the landlord's property? Get him/her to do it. If you screw it up and cause damage, you'll be liable to fix it (think water on the 2nd floor tenant's ceiling).
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

That old chrome trap arm is just rusted into the iron pipe----wedge a screwdriver between the chrome tube and the iron pipe--It will crush--then pry the crushed tube out of there---Done.--Mike---
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

I would be careful with that old galvanized stub out. I have seen them get very thin and brittle, so I would not get too rough with it. And why are you fixing your landlords stuff????
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

I'd like to fix it myself if I can.

Do you think crushing the chrome trap arm with a screwdriver is likely to cause a problem further down the pipe inside the wall?

After crushing the trap arm, won't the threads of the pipe that goes inside the wall be unable to accept a new threaded trap arm since they're rusty?

Last edited by diyrocks; 02-22-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

You will be able to scrape out enough rust and crud to get a new PVC trap arm into that nipple---

That trap arm only goes into the nipple an inch or so if it was installed correctly--It's very thin brass and very corroded--Try it---you are overly worried about this---Mike---
Old 02-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #9

It was even easier than I expected. I just needed to pry that plastic washer out and the pipe slid out no problem. Thanks everyone!

Advertisement