Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing hot water dispenser

My wife and I just bought our first house yesterday. We are going to be replacing the counters and sink in the kitchen. Currenly, the sink has one of those Erator hot water dispensing units. It does not appear to work, and seems quite old. From what I have read online, these things have short life expectancies and tend to leak when they go bad. Long story short, my wife wants it gone when the new sink is installed. My previous "plumbing" experience has been only replacing the sprayer for the kitchen sink. From what I have read online, it seems removing the erator is straightforward enough. Unplug the heater and let the water in the tank cool (although it isnt hot now anyways), turn off the water, flush out any water in the pipe to the erator, and then remove the unit.

My question is how do I close off the valve where the hot water dispenser connector pipe attaches to the main water line?

Also, if you think this project is beyond a complete newbs capabilities, I'd like to know that as well.

Thanks.

T_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

A picture of the setup would help a bunch.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #3

I'm at work, so I cant post a real pic...here is the diagram from the mfgr website

The one we have is a simpler/older version of this (it doesnt have the Y connector--just a single)

The pictures here shows a poly tube connecting at the junction. Mine has copper pipe (rather than a poly tube) coming out both directions from that junction. Also, on my sink, there appears to be some form of pin/clip attached to the junction.

I am assuming the two verical pipes are the main hot/cold water lines to the sink. I want to know how to stop the water flow when I remove the connector pipe.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,024

As Bob said, a picture would help a bunch, but since it sounds like you are already on the right track with the rest of it, try this. When you go home, see if the line from the tee up to the faucet is long enough to straighten out and reach the valve. If so, you may be able to simply shut off the valve, disconnect the line that goes to the faucet, remove the tee from the valve, and reconnect the line to the valve; that way you don't have to mess around with capping the tee. If the line doesn't reach, you could do the same thing, except that you'll have to get a longer line, and replace it at the faucet.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #5

Ok....here are actual pics

As you can see, the junction for both the hot and cold water lines are similar. The line to the hot water dispenser joins with the vertical copper pipe on the left. If I pull the connector pipe from the line on the left, how do I shut off the valve/joint?

Last edited by T_MB; 03-01-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: bigger pics
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #6

Here is a close up of the junction

Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

the old saddle valve will probably not close completely. get a 1/4" compression cap to put on where the water line is at, or cut it out and solder in a coupling to completely eliminate it. once the water is off, removing it is pretty straightforward
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
the old saddle valve will probably not close completely. get a 1/4" compression cap to put on where the water line is at, or cut it out and solder in a coupling to completely eliminate it. once the water is off, removing it is pretty straightforward
Good idea, but I'd go a different route.
Cut the H & C 1/2" copper lines right below the saddle valves and throw them away. Get 2 new 5/8 comp x 3/8 comp straight stops and install them on the 1/2" copper lines. It appears there would be enough slack in the braided flex to reach the new stops.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (03-02-2011)