DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Remove Toilet Rough in (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/remove-toilet-rough-16647/)

dgoldb1 02-05-2008 02:21 PM

Remove Toilet Rough in
 
Hello All,

I am finishing my basement and have decided not to install a bathroom. I now have the toilet rough in in the middle of the floor. What is the best way to remove this so that I can carpet over top of it. Adding the bathroom my be an option at some point in the future.

Thanks for the assistance.

Derek

http://www.precisenetworking.com/DSCF1864.jpg

Ron The Plumber 02-05-2008 02:25 PM

Open floor and cap it off.

dgoldb1 02-05-2008 02:49 PM

Is this something a DIY'er could pull off fairly easily? What all is involved?

Sawing down the PVC to floor level and installing a cap that fits inside the existing pipe with some type of epoxy or adhesive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber (Post 95184)
Open floor and cap it off.


Ron The Plumber 02-05-2008 02:51 PM

Is this a slab floor, yes you have to cut pipe below floor line, either put in a plug inside or a cap over the top of the pipe, after you get it cut below the finished floor.

dgoldb1 02-05-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber (Post 95200)
Is this a slab floor, yes you have to cut pipe below floor line, either put in a plug inside or a cap over the top of the pipe, after you get it cut below the finished floor.


Yes, it is a slab floor. It needs to be cut below the floor? How is this done?

Ron The Plumber 02-05-2008 03:16 PM

You may or may not need to chip out concrete, can't see it without picture, an inside pipe cutter like one seen below will allow you to cut below the floor line. If this cutter will work then use a inside pipe plug once cut.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...6_front500.jpg

dyier 02-05-2008 08:38 PM

- cut it flush with the floor

- cram some balled up news paper down the pipe about 4” to 6’’ deep

- fill it up with hydraulic cement flush with the floor

Marlin 02-05-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyier (Post 95314)
- cut it flush with the floor

- cram some balled up news paper down the pipe about 4 to 6 deep

- fill it up with hydraulic cement flush with the floor

First make absolutely sure that waste from elsewhere in the house doesn't share that line.
That is how a line is usually abandoned though.

nacko 02-05-2008 09:50 PM

nah, leave it there. get a decorative toilet to use for a chair, table, or conversation piece. plus, if someone has a bathroom emergency it will be there.

Ron The Plumber 02-05-2008 09:57 PM

I still prefer using a cherne expansion plug inside the line, but that just me.

http://www.improvedconstructionmetho...s/egripper.gif

dgoldb1 02-05-2008 10:36 PM

I like the idea of using the Cherne plug. How would I carpet over the wing nut though?

Would I want to use something like this?

http://www.cherneind.com/products-di...asp?pind=pp_10


Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber (Post 95344)
I still prefer using a cherne expansion plug inside the line, but that just me.

http://www.improvedconstructionmetho...s/egripper.gif


dyier 02-05-2008 10:57 PM

cut the pipe with an inside cutter (as shown in past post) low enough so the wing nut is below the floor

dgoldb1 02-05-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyier (Post 95360)
cut the pipe with an inside cutter (as shown in past post) low enough so the wing nut is below the floor

Gotcha...I'll order one of these. Still up in the air about the expandable plug though. Not sure which one I need.

dyier 02-05-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoldb1 (Post 95364)
Gotcha...I'll order one of these. Still up in the air about the expandable plug though. Not sure which one I need.

Uh, the one in the pretty picture posted above. You just need to know if it is a 3" or 4" pipe. You need to measure the pipe to see.

Who Sells Them?

For sure:
- local plumbing supply company

Maybe:
- Home Depot
- Lowe's
- Ace Hardware

Ron The Plumber 02-05-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoldb1 (Post 95364)
Gotcha...I'll order one of these. Still up in the air about the expandable plug though. Not sure which one I need.

Get one like the one I shown, however there are other type out there you just have to do some research on them. It will be a 3" or 4", depends on the inside diameter of the pipe your dealing with.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.