Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

Share |

Remove Cast Iron Vent

I need to replace this cast iron vent stack in the attic of a bungalow. I'm open to suggestions on the best way to remove it.

It has already got a large crack/smile in it. I could break it apart with a hammer but I don't want any chunks to fall into the drain. There is a clean-out in the basement that I can open and put in a rag to catch debris but I still don't want any chunks to fall. Since this pipe is no longer round because of the crack, could I still use a cast iron pipe cutter? Or a Sawzall would be better? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Remove Cast Iron Vent-103_8838-small-.jpg  

Mike Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Remove Cast Iron Vent

id use a saw zall myself and cut it right below the bell/hub so you have solid pipe to tie back into.im guessing its 3" coming through sealing so get a 3" c.i to 3" pl no hub coupling a short piece of 3"pvc then a 3x4 pvc increaser to bump to 4" going through roof.once you have the pipe cut off you can lean it to one side and shove a rag down the existing cast iron pipe down below and beat the rest apart with a hammer.you will have a some rust and trash falling in while your cutting,nothing you can do about that.just run lots of water down drain to make sure its clear

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #3

Remove Cast Iron Vent

a sawsall is a pain to run,you need a grit type straight blade and it will shake you to death. a cast cutter is slicker and quicker and the tool of choice if you have ROOM to work it there. Those wires running thru pic,,is that knob and tube or otherwise live wiring?? get something over that for protection if so. It gets so brittle even a skuff can lead to bare spots. you can cut it above or below hub if you have enough good pipe left to no-hub to. I have never seen one split that bad,,obviously blocked solid so rain water was held and then froze.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Remove Cast Iron Vent

a good 16t metal blade will cut through that easily
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #5

Remove Cast Iron Vent

I agree with Plummen use a sawzall and don't waste your money on the grit blades. I don't think a cast iron cutter would work on that pipe anyways I think it would just crush the pipe,make a mess and leave you nothing to attach to.....good luck
SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote