Remove Bathroom Sink From Cabinet Stuck With Silicone - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remove bathroom sink from cabinet stuck with silicone

i just recently attached a new bathroom sink to a (IkEA) cabinet using slicone. during the installation and attaching the plumbing the sink moved on the cabinet (but i didnt notice).

Now the sink is stuck to the cabinet but in an off postion.

I am trying to use blowdryer to loosen the silicon and pry it off but its not working that well and have good chance of damaging things.

Suggestions?

Advertisement

Bucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucker View Post
i just recently attached a new bathroom sink to a (IkEA) cabinet using slicone. during the installation and attaching the plumbing the sink moved on the cabinet (but i didnt notice).

I am trying to use blowdryer to loosen the silicon and pry it off but its not working that well and have good chance of damaging things.

Suggestions?
razor to cut the silicon then scrape it all off, start over

Advertisement

amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucker View Post

Suggestions?
hammer
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

rip the ikea counter and sink out and go get yourself a granite vanity with a under mount or vessel sink ...it will look much nicer
most granite shops can make a vanity in less than 4 hours
and more like 1/2h if you have a vessel sink
blunt22man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

wow - after reading the suggestions i feel i have to offer sympathy. The neatest tool I have for precisely such situations is an OLD candy spatula. It was my grandfathers - from the 1920s. Reason I mention this is - it is A. thin and long - think extended well made putty knife. B it is strong and sharp. The razor suggestion is good - and if you are CAREFUL and the seal is mostly perimeter (inside and out) you might be able to pull that off. But if there is a bond on the thickness of the edge, you'll need to carefully work a very thin, sharp tool or instrument through that bond. If you can - without craning your neck and ending up with a stiff neck for a week- work this from the inside of the cabinet. reducing the chance of scraping the finish. If you must go at it from the outside, Tape the boarder beneath the top a few layers of 2 inch masking and go at it slow and carefully.

There are products that will weaken silicone as well, but I caution you on using them near wood as the finish may become stained or damaged.

Just a heads up -- Whenever you place a top such as this on a vanity, it is good to Set the top and after it is EXACTLY where you want it, Mark the bottom side with a VERY SHARP POINTED pencil. Then, flip the top off - and adhere small 90 degree corner blocks using the marks as guides. these blocks can have a slight taper downward - away from the top to make installing the top easier. Then Install the top - using the silicone and LET IT CURE before installing the fixture. Of course the other way would be to - install the fixture to the top - have it exactly where you want it - making sure the connections to your supply lines and drain pipe will be easy, make those marks I spoke of, and proceed. But don't go bumping things around til they're cured.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

fein multitool

Advertisement

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote