Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

remounting sink help!

i hope this goes here
the previous people renting the room knocked the bathroom sink off the wall. i have to repair it before the landlord sees it and charges me for damage. the previous tenant said they wouldn't pay to fix it so we kicked them out.

bigluelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

remounting sink help!

also the pipes and all the other stuff under the sink look fine no bent or pinched lines/pipes

bigluelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #3

remounting sink help!

Hopefully you have shutoffs there as well. If so shut off the supply from below the sink and be sure to double check your drain pipe for damage. The best approach is to remove the sink entirely by disconnecting your braided lines. It appears the wall bracket is pulled out perhaps from excess weight on the sink. Did someone sit on it?
Pull the bracket off and check the length of the screws and what they are anchored into. Do this with a smaller diameter nail or drill bit. If there is material behind there to bite into you may get away with either heavier or longer screws. If it is hollow you will need to try to create a more secure anchor within the wall cavity. Do not use nylon anchors, try to find a wing type anchor that will spread out in a wide wing pattern to help bear the load and you should be OK. Be sure the anchors are capable of teh handling weight of the sink. If you had something to hold a heavy shelf 50lbs? or wall mounted microwave you should be fine. Merry Xmas. Best of luck
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #4

remounting sink help!

Reviewing your photos, I'm sure the brass extension from the sink to your chrome drain pipe is kinked but this likely safe your sink from hitting the floor. Pick up a spare when you get the screws. Measure yours. You should find them in 3, 4 and 6" lengths. Take your sample or your photos to the store.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #5

remounting sink help!

Sorry, when the coffee kicked in I saw you have a popup for your drain plug on the brass portion. I looks like you will need that pop up assembly as opposed to a straight brass extension piece, but it still cheaper than the sink hitting the floor.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #6

remounting sink help!

maybe it can't hurt to scrape off old caulk and when re-installing sink to wall
in addittion to new screws in mounting bracket apply some adhesive caulk to back of sink
and wall area, it will help to secure the sink in place.

Frederick j Ward is offline   Reply With Quote