Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

remodeling bathroom fixtures and kitchen fixtures need a plumbers advice on products

I am looking at getting a new toilet, showerhead, kitchen sink, bathtub faucet, kitchen faucet. Went to looking around for some ideas and I got more confused as I recieved more and more sales pitches.... I am so lost.

What should I weary of( other than sales people)? Does the salt water have an affect on corosion of the faucets? Does plastic last longer because of salt water corrosion(I was told that by a sales person)? What is the difference between the dual flush toilets vs the side flush toilets? What type of mechanics are important in having a good bathroom, kitchen, bathtub, faucet?
What type of mechaincs should I be looking for in a toilet? What are the best brands, that last the longest, look good. Anything else you can add to my knowledge of the fixtures side of the world is highly appreciated. (I have done research on the internet on this topic and 90% of the people giving hits or tips are pushing products) Please salesman stay away

Also what terms should I know when it comes to this stuff ie pressure, parts,etc

what ideal prices would most people pay for the new toilet, showerhead, kitchen sink, bathtub faucet, kitchen faucet, etc?

My gratitude is extended to those who spend the time to read and answer my questions.

Thanks

Last edited by chillednbubbley; 12-27-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
chillednbubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

remodeling bathroom fixtures and kitchen fixtures need a plumbers advice on products

Best toilet is Toto, best budget toilet is Western, and it's hard to go wrong with Delta faucets. IMNTBHO

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Quote:
Does the salt water have an affect on corosion of the faucets?
If you have salt water coming out of your faucets you have bigger problems then bathroom remodeling. Resultingly plastic does not last longer, in fact the opposite is true. Brass will outlast plastic any day of the week and is priced accordingly.

Quote:
What is the difference between the dual flush toilets vs the side flush toilets?
Dual flush toilets have two flush features, one for pee and one for poo. You press an appropriate button for which one you made, the pee button uses less water. I'm not sure what a side flush toilet is, you mean a normal toilet? Normal toilets use 1.6 gallons per flush. Dual flushes probably use 1.6 for #2 and 1 or so for number one. The price difference will never pay for itself so unless you feel like making Al Gores day save yourself the money. Replacement parts to rebuild a normal toilet runs about $20, I haven't had to fix a dual flush one yet but I bet it's a hell of a lot more than that.

Quote:
What type of mechanics are important in having a good bathroom, kitchen, bathtub, faucet?
What type of mechaincs should I be looking for in a toilet?
Ones with faucets are nice... I'm not sure what you're looking for here?

Quote:
What are the best brands, that last the longest, look good. Anything else you can add to my knowledge of the fixtures side of the world is highly appreciated.
Toilets:
American Standard is decent
Kohler is decent
Crane is good for what they cost
Gerber is junk
Toto is ok but should be made of gold for what they cost. It's all marketing.

Faucets:
Delta makes a great faucet
Moan makes a good faucet
American Standard makes a decent faucet
Kohler makes a decent faucet
Ghroe makes a decent faucet

Quote:
Also what terms should I know when it comes to this stuff ie pressure, parts,etc
What?

Quote:
what ideal prices would most people pay for the new toilet, showerhead, kitchen sink, bathtub faucet, kitchen faucet, etc?
My idea price is free. Seriously, you can buy cheap things or expensive stuff, not much differance really as long as you stay away from the junk.

And whatever you do. DO NOT BUY FIXTURES, OR FAUCETS FROM HOME DEPOT OR LOWES

Is thier a way to make that flash and glow in bright colors?
The stuff they sell while $20 cheaper then the plumbing supply make look the same but is made of plastic instead of brass and has cheaper internal parts that can only be purchased at Home Depot so chances are your plumber doesn't carry them on his truck and a simple $100 repair will turn into a $200 repair when he has to go to Home Depot to find the stuff. Not to mention if Home Depot ever goes under you're SOL.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

I don't know what salt problem they are talking about. Are you building a patio on the ocean? Some faucets have plastic on the tub spout as a scald guard feature, or other parts that have nothing to do with water flowing through them are made of plastic or casted metal, and the casted materials will probably corrode before the plastic stuff has a problem . It will all be chrome or brass plated depending on what style you are looking for so it will be hard to tell without opening boxes and holding the stuff in your hands. A plumbing supply house is your best bet to be able to do this and have your questions answered. Stick with name brands that have readily available repair parts. Delta or Moen have been around and will be around and are easily repaired. Kohler and Grohe especially are probably more likely to be all brass but I am not sure, but they must be for the cost. If they say lifetime warranty, ask what that means...Moen will send you the repair parts in the mail for free if you keep the model number of the faucet so they know what to send, I'm sure other companies do the same, but ask.
I think Marlin is saying stay away from brands like Pegasus at Home Depot as I am sure that the same model number of a faucet from Delta or any other company is going to have identical parts in the box regardless of where it is sold, perhaps I am wrong.
Our company installs nothing but the Toto (Drake) off the truck and you can probably read consumer reviews on any toilet on the market. I have read both good and bad about Toto, mostly good (hard to clean seems to be the complaint about the Drake although there is a SanaGloss feature on some models that is supposed to improve this) but I do think they flush better than most toilets, (can be loud because they flush fast because they have larger flappers on some models) although I don't like some of the fancier ones with the skirt and hidden bolts covers...they have a separate plastic piece that needs to be mounted to the floor before the toilet is set down and it makes them even more costly and difficult to install. Kohler makes very good toilets too. Features like elongated or a higher seat are things to consider. As far as price, Kohler and Toto are the highest, if there are good flushing budget toilets I don't know, but some of them should have a plunger in the box with the toilet. Stay away from brands (like Mansfield) that have odd flushing mechanisms, and I don't like the American Standard one that they advertise that will flush all the golf balls, unless they have changed the flushing mechanism.
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

The chromed metal will obviously corrode before the plastic since plastic doesn't corrode. However the chrome will chip off the plasting many years before the brass starts to corrode as long as you buy decent faucets and don't have super hard water or leave cleaners sitting on the faucets.

Yes stay away from Home Depot brands. Also stay away from any faucet bought at Home Depot. The plumbing supply will have Delta faucet number 4821s for example and Home Depot will have Delta faucet number 4821-hd. You would think they're the same since they look identical yet they're completely different. If you go to the plumbing supply, spend an hour their asking questions, looking at faucets, and writing down model numbers only to go over to Home Depot and try to save a couple bucks don't count on that plumbing supply ever being of any help to you again. You're not just paying for better quality, you're paying for real knowledge and service. Usually even the plumbers their waiting in line will give you some advice for nothing if you ask.

Last edited by Marlin; 12-28-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Ultimatetouch

Rewards Points: 25

I dont know much about salt water. Where is your location? As far as brands go. I like toto if you want an upscale toilet. Click the link that says toto to see styles. The flush system has always worked for my house and I have never had a complaint in any of bathrooms that we remodeled.

ultimatetouch is offline   Reply With Quote