Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Remodeling Bathroom

Hi, we just bought our first home and everything inside has been remodeled with the exception of the plumbing and bathroom. The house is 70 years old so the pipes are really bad and have rust leaking into the water. Our plan is to hire a plumber to fix the pipes through out the whole house but I want to take out the tub, buy a new one and replace the old surround with tile. I know it will be a good $300 more to this but It's my first place and I want it to be special.
My question is how hard is it to replace the faucet when doing the tile surround? Should I have the plumber do it and If I do will it cost me an arm and a leg? I've never done tile but I have a brother who is doing the same to his bathroom and has told us some tips.

Any and all advice will be welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Kat.

AngelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Knows everything but that

Remodeling Bathroom

Hey Kat. Sounds like a good plan! How about posting some pictures of what you are looking at exactly. It would help everyone help you.

Shane

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #3

Remodeling Bathroom

Are you sure you need all your pipes swapped out to resolve the rust problems? It sounds more like a water treatment issue. Ask the plumber for estimates with and without the faucet, tub etc.

A lot depends on your ability and confidence level, not to mention available time when it comes to DIY in general. I am in the process of a near total bathroom reno and have come a long way but not without a lot of reading and and asking. Even small things can take more time than you would think. And, almost nothing goes as easily as they show on home improvement shows. Little things like relocating your washer temporarily only to find that the washer supply valve now does not shut off all the way and not you must repair of replace it.

Expect the unexpected. I could make a reality show of my home improvement exploits- the sweat, the cussing, setting off the smoke detector while cutting out old subflooring with a skill saw as the room fills with smoke. Oh, and the hard wired smoke detector now needs to be replaced.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #4

Remodeling Bathroom

Kat,

Rust in the water? Are you dealing with old galvanized steel water lines? If so and you need to replace a lot of pipe, it might be a good idea to ask the plumber about Pex. It could save you a bunch of money.

Are you replacing the tub yourself? Will you be able to properly hook up the drain? When I replaced my tub I mixed up some quickcrete and put some under it just to be sure that I would get no flex in the tub, even though it is steel. I'm not sure how common this is.

If you have no experience doing this stuff yourself, you might want to find someone that does. You don't want to have to tear into it a few years down the line b/c something was wrong.

If you are just replacing a faucet and everything else is AOK according to the plumber, just follow the manufacturers instructions. Have the stuff ready for when the plumber gets there and use him to ask questions about it. If he's a decent guy, he will help you out, if he's not, hire someone else.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Tool Cop

Remodeling Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Are you sure you need all your pipes swapped out to resolve the rust problems? It sounds more like a water treatment issue. Ask the plumber for estimates with and without the faucet, tub etc.

A lot depends on your ability and confidence level, not to mention available time when it comes to DIY in general. I am in the process of a near total bathroom reno and have come a long way but not without a lot of reading and and asking. Even small things can take more time than you would think. And, almost nothing goes as easily as they show on home improvement shows. Little things like relocating your washer temporarily only to find that the washer supply valve now does not shut off all the way and not you must repair of replace it.

Expect the unexpected. I could make a reality show of my home improvement exploits- the sweat, the cussing, setting off the smoke detector while cutting out old subflooring with a skill saw as the room fills with smoke. Oh, and the hard wired smoke detector now needs to be replaced.

I'm surprised they don't have anything like that yet. You should call The Home Network and get that going!
TrafficCopSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #6

Remodeling Bathroom

I don't know about tile but I did my tub with plastic surround and it wasn't that hard. I guessing tile is going to be harder to install but good luck!

Charlie.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, faucets, plumbing