Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Relocating water supply line from well

I am renovating my basement and have previously asked about types of pipe and the forum has been very helpful. Next issue...

The well for my house is about 50 feet out in the yard and has a hard black plastic/rubber pvc style (3/4 or maybe 7/8in.) supply line which runs underground and thru the concrete slab in my basement. The line comes thru the slab, just inside the cinderblock in what will be my new family room. Is it possible(affordable/legal) to route the supply line under the slab to the area beneath my staircase. It is the same area where I am relocating my electric hot water heater. The distance from the base of the wall where it is located now to the possible new location is ~18feet. Oh yeah, I would prefer not to cut the slab as we are going for an acid etched concrete floor look. But I will do it if I have to.
Is it impossible to try and get the line under the slab?

Mikedks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
I blame ProWallGuy

Rewards Points: 150

If you're not willing to cut the slab for this, how are you proposing to get it under the slab?

I'm not aware of a way to do this without breaking the slab. I wonder if anyone else is.

Can you run this line underground outside to a more convenient location and come back into the basement area?

Last edited by Double A; 09-21-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #3

Unfortunately, this is the easiest way to access the location under the stairs. If there is no way to go under slab, and I did cut the slab, is it allowable and safe to run line under house to interior location?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

You can dig where you think the plumbing goes under the footing. Then re-route the pipe outside to the side of the house where you want it. Then drill a hole in the foundation where you want the pipe to come in. It's a lot of digging but you won't have to cut the slab.
fqp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

Don't any of you guys (plumbers) use the HammerHead Mole or a small directional boring rig? I use both in the electrical biz, and more plumbers use them in my area than electricians. Slick as a whistle for dragging pipeowork under a slab.

http://www.hammerheadmole.com/produc...cing_tools.htm

Last edited by mdshunk; 09-21-2006 at 08:28 PM.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedks View Post
Unfortunately, this is the easiest way to access the location under the stairs. If there is no way to go under slab, and I did cut the slab, is it allowable and safe to run line under house to interior location?
Sure you can run it under the slab, just as long as you don't have joints and you protect the pipe where it passes through the concrete.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
Sure you can run it under the slab, just as long as you don't have joints and you protect the pipe where it passes through the concrete.
Thanks for advice, so many projects, so little time.