Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

relocating water heater location going tankless

Hello, this is my first post. I am not a plumber, but I have had to do some plumbing work in the past and can sweat copper and use pipe dope so I can barely get by. I also have some electrical background so can do that myself with some level of confidence.
With that being said, I am trying to relocate my water heater location and change over to an electric tankless from a gas tank. (tank broke last night and flooded the garage). The purpose is the put the location of teh new tankless as close to the shower since the existing tank stubouts are at the farthest point away in the garage. My question is, if I tie into an existing water line in the wall behind the tub/shower area, and run the appropriate electrical to the new tankless heater, would there be any issue with making this the new hot water source? The plan is to use the cold water line by adding a 1/2" copper "T" and that would be the input to the new water heater. The output would go to the existing hot water line for the tub, adding another copper "T" and then tieing the old lines together in the garage (output to input). Does anyone have any advice for the new installation? Sorry for the long winded question but wanted to get the full story out there. thanks in advance!

Last edited by bstinson; 12-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
bstinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

My first thought (assuming code says ok to locate heater there) is adequate supply. What size pipe feeds your existing WH and what size exits? I'm guessing 3/4" for both; with the exit one then downsizing to 1/2" for branches. May lose adequate flow with 1/2" in and out of new one. You'll also think you'll need a 60 amp 240v circuit; can your electrical panel provide for that?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I have a sub-panel that was used for a hot tub that has a 2pole 50 that would be my electrical source. The units I looked at should be good with that. Smaller units require 30amp.
The existing WH lines are 3/4" and the lines into the tub are 1/2". That was my concern with this plan. Do you think the smaller lines would kill the water pressure on the hot water line?
bstinson is offline   Reply With Quote