Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

Relocating Water Heater to backyard.

I was wondering if any one has a slight idea of how much it would cost me to relocate the water heater. Currently the heater seats pretty much in the middle of the house (a hallway closet). I would like to move it to the back of the house. I just feel safer about the heater being outside of the house (on the back). What recomendations or warnings can you give me before I make any decision?
by the way, I live in southern california (san bernardino) if this makes any difference.

Thanks
Greg

gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #2

if it is gas beng outside will cut down on its life,if it's electric it shouldn't make a diiference.when was the last time you blew off the relief or flushed the tank itself out?

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

You did not supply enough info to give any kind of an estimate, very little info supplied.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #4

This would actually be a "new" house to me. The house is kind of a fixer upper. I am not living there yet but this heater would be on my to do list. Is not a priority but just something I would like to do in the near future. What type of information would be required in order to give you a better idea to help me?. I believe the heater is gas and not electric. Even if I enclosed the heater to protect from the elements will it shorten its life to relocate to the back of the house?

thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #5

I would personally not recommend doing this at all. Just replacing a heater costs $800 to $1300. I would think moving it out back could be more costly since you would have to rip out the walls and run a line to where the old water heater used to be, (and run a new gas line outside?), build a structure to hold the tank outside, build a new flue to handle the exhaust gases, etc. Also there is the risk of water pressure problems at the fixtures and longer wait for the hot water taps to become hot.

A fixer upper is a costly affair whether it is for yourself or if you plan to flip the property. Why add a huge expense when it is probably not necessary? Unless you have money to burn.

Last edited by darsunt; 03-07-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: more precise ideas
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I would personally not recommend doing this at all. Just replacing a heater costs $800 to $1300. I would think moving it out back could be more costly since you would have to rip out the walls and run a line to where the old water heater used to be, (and run a new gas line outside?), build a structure to hold the tank outside, build a new flue to handle the exhaust gases, etc. Also there is the risk of water pressure problems at the fixtures and longer wait for the hot water taps to become hot.

A fixer upper is a costly affair whether it is for yourself or if you plan to flip the property. Why add a huge expense when it is probably not necessary? Unless you have money to burn.

Yes you are right, it was just a thought but it seems to involve a lot more work and cash than I anticipated.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Journeyman Plumber

Yes it won't be cheap to move the tank.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote