Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #1

Share |

relocating an outdoor hose faucet

i have a house faucet that is located a few inches from the ground concrete pad. Don't ask me why, but that is where the builder routed it out of my house 40 years ago. It has a 1/2" copper pipe extending out a brick wall with a standard threaded sill cock on it. Since it is a few inches from the ground it is a royal PIA to connect and disconnect the hose. It causes excessive wear on the hose since it presses against the ground. Plus, I have to bend over every time to turn the valve. I am thinking of rerouting this by using a 90 degree elbow and 2 ft of pipe to lift the faucet higher. I was going to use galvanized pipe but then was told not to combine galvanized and copper. I also cannot access the piping from inside because that corner of the house is walled of with a shower. Is it acceptable to have copper pipe outdoors?

I will post a picture later today.

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Sure you can use copper outside. You can also use galy, just use a dielectric union to make the connection. Important; have a way to shut the water off in the winter.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #3

Thanks. There is probably a shut off valve inside but it is not accessible. I have never had a problem yet. The faucet has been there for 40 years so far. My other out door faucets all have accessible shut off valves which is nice.

Will freezing be an issue now that a larger section of pipe is exposed? The water will obviously freeze inside the outdoor section, but I assume it will only freeze up to a point a few inches into the house.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Freezing will certainly become an issue with that much more pipe exposed. Find a way to access the inside shutoff valve.