Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

relocating culvert headwall

My neighor's culvert headwall is in the wrong place; it should be in the easemment somewhere in front of his property but instead it's in the easement in front of my property. Is it easy to demo and rebuild? I haven't done this before. His is PT lumber and it's in boggy ground because of a nearby underground spring, rotting away, and should probably have been built of concrete. I'll also want to relocate my headwall to essentially where his is. Does the neighbor who built in the wrong place normally pay for the expenses? He is not the original builder and bought the house in that condition.

jeffmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

You want to relocate your neighbor's culvert headwall onto property he has an easement for? Is he giving you permission to effectively trespass on his property to perform this improvement? Normally this would be his responsibility, as to who pays, that sounds complicated.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The neighbor has agreed to let me demo her headwall and thankful I can rebuild it for her. I just haven't done it before although it seems simple enough. I don't know how much something like that typically goes for. She has agreed to pay although I have no idea if it will be easy to collect. The current headwall is 4 timbers high of Pressure Treated 6x6s, in boggy ground, and near utilities.

Would appreciate some construction tips if you have any since it would be neccessary to saw cut and chip out asphalt 7' towards her side then building it up against the saw cut. I would like to build the new one out of concrete to avoid rotting, originial cause of failure to original, since it's in boggy ground. I foresee a lot of difficulty in keeping it all from falling in while building it.
jeffmai is offline   Reply With Quote