Relocated Natural Gas Dryer From First Floor To Basement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Relocated Natural Gas Dryer From First Floor to Basement

Hello all,

I recently bought a house and relocated a gas dryer from the first floor to the basement. I brought back all the pipping to the point of where it looked like it used to be (an old style shutoff valve is right there). I reused the old gas flex line (corrugated stainless) too (is that okay?). I did reuse a pipe however to bring it closer to the flex line (it was literally short by a few inches). I used yellow Teflon tape and made a double wrap as recommended on the tape and cranked em' down real hard. It's been like this for over a week and I don't smell any gas but was curious if I should still get a line pressure test done anyways. The house was built in 64' so I assumed it wouldn't hurt (minus the $250 quote to do the line pressure test) just to see if the work I did was good in addition to whatever else is already there. The plumber I spoke to said our state, CT, wants to see 5 PSI hold for an hour. Am I being a bit paranoid or would this be a worthy investment? I plan on staying in the house for as long as possible. Thanks!

Advertisement

knight508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I think you are supposed to replace that flex line.

I assume you used black steel pipe to channel your natural gas?

When I extended my gas line, I tested all new joints, as well as two old joints back from the newest joint, with soap water for any telltale bubbles.

I also bought a TIF 8800 combustible gas detector (not just for this but to periodically check my natural gas appliances).

Advertisement

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Hello,

Yea when I undid the pipping back to the original location in the basement it was all the old pipe plus one reused piece of the black pipe (I cleaned the ends up a bit too). I mixed up some dishwasher soap and water on a paper towel and heavily covered the joints and didn't notice any bubbling. I mean, it seems solid but I've read stories of very slow leaks making people sick. In hindsight it probably would have just been smarter and more cost effective to pay a plumber to re-hookup the dryer...but still there could be a slow leak elsewhere (or this could be cognitive dissonance).
Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 738

I personaly never would suggest a DIY work on gas lines.
Getting sick would be the least of your worrys if it leaks, It can kill you and cause the house to explode.
By being installed in the basement there's little ventalation and gas seeks the lowest area so it would have plenty of time to build up, one spark and it's all over.
Did you install a drop leg for any trash in the line to fall into instead of going into the dryer?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Natural gas is non toxic and doesn't make people sick. Carbon monoxide, on the other hand, is a byproduct of incomplete combustion and will make you sick, and could even kill you. Having your gas appliances serviced yearly to keep them in good working order is very important to avoid this potentially deadly problem. Also, install CO detectors by sleeping areas. Be sure to follow the directions that come with the detectors to avoid putting them in areas that may cause nuisance alarms.

As for pressure testing your gas lines, all new gas lines MUST be pressure tested. Code minimum here is 15psi for 15 minutes, although your area may differ. Final connections to regulators and appliances after a pressure test are to be soap tested and dial tested.

Last edited by hvac benny; 09-08-2012 at 04:41 PM.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
gas seeks the lowest area
Natural gas is almost half as light as air, and will therefore float. Propane is 50% heavier than air, and will sink. It depends on what gas the OP is using, but generally, when people say gas in the context the OP is using, they are referring to natural gas.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,638

agree with hvac benny.....new lines always need pressured tested and inspected....repairs on the other hand...after repairs are completed dial test at meter ..and soap test are proper proceedure...if you soap tested joints and no bubbles or smell...your ok..and of course with a name like ben we have to be good ben sr.. and by the way if connector is stainless steel you can reuse it..
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
agree with hvac benny.....new lines always need pressured tested and inspected....repairs on the other hand...after repairs are completed dial test at meter ..and soap test are proper proceedure...if you soap tested joints and no bubbles or smell...your ok..and of course with a name like ben we have to be good ben sr.. and by the way if connector is stainless steel you can reuse it..
I too heard you can re-use the stainless so that's good to hear. I heard the old brass flex gas connectors were junk but it's definitely not one of those. I actually didn't put a drop line though that sounds like it would be a very good idea. I did mix up some dish soap and water and drenched a paper towel and soaked all the joints without any bubbles. One thing bothering my though is the damn pipes are hardly anchored so I think I'd like to anchor it to the concrete foundation about half way down. I had a bunch of people over yesterday and nobody said anything about a smell either and it's been like this for over a week. The plumber never called me back though. I forgot to mention I also put an explosive gas and CO detector right above where I did all the work so if anything does happen it should float right up to it and go off. Should I redo the work; anchor the pipe to the wall and put in a drop? Thanks.

Advertisement

Tags
natural gas