Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Share |

Relocate Copper Stub-ups in slab

Good morning....first post so bear with me! I'm doing some remodeling in my bathroom. My plan is to turn my garden tub 90 degrees and then widen the shower and install a bench seat. The stubs for the tub came up between the divider between shower and tub which I have now removed. I have trenched the concrete to relocate the p-trap for the tub; and now I would like to move the stubs for the tub to make room for the bench seat. The problem is that the stub comes up and t's off one goes to the tub and the other goes back down into the ground (I'm assuming supplying water downstream (to the shower). I don't want to break out the whole slab in the bathroom....so do I have any options for extending the copper line without replacing it all the way? It's my understanding that code won't allow soldering pipe under the slab. Though sharkbites are approved for underground....it seems that most pros don't recommend that. Obviously after building the shower floor, replacing concrete, tiling, etc...the last thing I want to do is to have to rip it out down the line to fix a leak. Does anyone have any suggestions here?
Attached Thumbnails
Relocate Copper Stub-ups in slab-dsc00276-1.jpg  
crankycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

I believe you can braze the copper joints under the slab.

Brazing is a metal-joining process whereby a filler metal is heated above and distributed between two or more close-fitting parts by capillary action. The filler metal is brought slightly above its melting (liquidus) temperature while protected by a suitable atmosphere, usually a flux. It then flows over the base metal (known as wetting) and is then cooled to join the workpieces together.[1] It is similar to soldering, except the temperatures used to melt the filler metal are above 450 C (842 F).
Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #3

Thanks RJNiles. I have done lots of copper soldering in my day, but never brazed. I assume that the "filler metal" would be in the form of a stick opposed to a soft solder? I don't want to attempt to do this and not do it correctly considering it will be under my slab!
crankycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote