Reinstalling A Tub With Tile Surround - Basic Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Reinstalling a tub with tile surround - Basic Questions

Hi guys, I am currently installing a tub and tile surround into my bathroom. I have some pictures below of my current set up if you would like to see it (if you are wondering why the studs are painted white, it is just Bull's eye 123 primer to help prevent mold/mildew from growing in case of a future water leak. We had a water leak before and removed all the green board that had gotten moldy behind the tub surround, then cleaned everything, then sealed with primer). Anyways, I have a few questions now that I have a bit more free time and am ready to install the tub.

1) I'm using Durock cement board for the walls before I tile. Is it okay to screw the cement board into the studs all the way from ceiling to floor... and then put in the tub? Or is it recommended to only screw in cement board above the tub? If I only screw in cement board above the tub, then the areas on the walls below the tub will be bare and have no protection in case there is a water leak. I will have a vapor barrier but that is about it below the tub.
2) I'm installing a vapor barrier but since I have so much material I wanted to install 2 layers of the vapor barrier. Are there any problems with installing 2 layers of 4mm Heavy-Duty plastic Sheeting as my vapor barrier?
3) As I said eariler, I am installing plastic sheeting as my vapor barrier. But I have heard people, when tiling their tub surround especially, use water proof felt instead of plastic sheeting. Is it okay to use plastic sheeting instead of water proof felt? Is there a difference?

Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate the help
Attached Thumbnails
Reinstalling a tub with tile surround - Basic Questions-img_0968.jpg   Reinstalling a tub with tile surround - Basic Questions-img_0969.jpg   Reinstalling a tub with tile surround - Basic Questions-img_0970.jpg   Reinstalling a tub with tile surround - Basic Questions-img_0971.jpg  

Advertisement

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Wood has the ability to draw moisture. When it does draw moisture that moisture must also be able to escape from the wood fibers. If the moisture can't come and go and there is no free-air to help it along the wood rots. Just thought I would open with that piece of information. I wouldn't paint any more of the wall studs.

Next, the wallboard should be installed only above to tub so as to create a water-shed effect. The wallboard should lap over the edge of the tub some.

There is no need to install more than one layer of vapor barrier. Two layers will create the potential for condensation to form between the layers. Plastic is fine.

Your tendency to overkill is going to kill you.

Advertisement

amodoko (12-01-2011), oh'mike (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Tileguy

Just noticed...
You should probably have some more blocking in that stud-bay that contains the valve and shower riser. Those spans may be too great to properly support the wallboard.
amodoko (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 628

4 mil is not heavy duty plastic, 6 mil. is.
Looks like your on a slab and the drains been pored into the concrete. Good luck with trying to get the drain and over flow to line up. Most often there's a box about 14" X 14" built into the slab to fit the trap and to be able to adjust the drain to get it to line up. Not all tubs have the same drain location.
The over flow get's installed once the tubs been installed not before.
Looks like you have installed something behind the wall behind the control valve. It should have been left off untill the tub was in and all the drains connected. Also there's no access panel behind the control valve for future service.

Last edited by joecaption; 12-01-2011 at 06:53 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
amodoko (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks a bunch for the info budcline, I will do exactly what you have said. I may even sand a bit of the primer off the studs to give the wood more air if the primer may present a problem with the wood rotting.

And to let you guys know, I actually haven't installed anything yet except the insulation (since the old insulation had gotten mold in it and I thought it be best to just install some new insulation). And besides putting the primer on the studs, there is nothing new I have added to my setup. This is just the setup that was found after I removed the old tub and surround. Basically, about 95% of what I have done is just demolition so far.

And if it will be a problem getting the drain and overflow to line up, is there any way to find a tub that will fit my specs so I don't have to move them? Since the drain has been layed in cement as joecaption had noted.

If you guys see anything else that is a red flag in my set up, please let me know. Thanks a bunch
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Since the drain has been layed in cement as joecaption had noted.
Can't tell but it looks as if the opening around the drain has been filled-in with cement. Generally that area is allowed to remain open as stated. If so...it may be necessary to dig out the patch...if it is a patch.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,228

The tub must be installed first----Then 1/2" durrock or Hardi backer is installed to the top of the tub flange---

I am a waterproof surround guy----I don't use a vapor barrier behind the backer board at all---
I like to water proof the face of the board using HydroBan or Redguard.

You can use a vapor barrier behind the board and skip the water proofing---I don't.
Bud Cline (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

I use both plastic and Redguard. Cant be too careful.

I have same question of sorts,,,dont want a chase for mice to run up and down walls,,,cant dens sheid behind 2X 4 back wall tub support or wont fit on back lip,,,so drywalling or prefered conc. board below 2 bye 4 support to cut down on wind,mice runways?? Old tub had all insulation laying in a pile at base hence darn cold tub as its on exterior wall
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
4just1don: "I use both plastic and Redguard. Cant be too careful."
I, for one, would appreciate it if you didn't give advice when you don't understand the consequences of your advice were it to be followed by others.

Using both a plastic barrier on the studs and waterproofing on the surface is the worst thing anyone could do.
This is a known fact industry-wide. You do not want to use a plastic vapor/moisture barrier on the studs and then also use a waterproofing on the surface. This will cause condensation inside the installation and the wall cavity and enhance the potential for mold and rotting from within.

Use one or the other but not both. Using both is not being careful, it is being foolish.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Tileguy

Hijacking someone else's thread is the next worst thing you can do.

Makes absolutely no sense by-the-way.

Advertisement