DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Reinforcing copper pipe to wall

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rav 
#1 ·
The 5/8" (outer diameter) copper pipe that supplies my washing machine runs along an unfinished basement wall made of some type of old concrete block (built in 1930s; blocks are about 1' square by about 3" thick, and are sort of "ribbed," and painted white).

The hot water pipe is sagging in one place due to the old supports having come off. I've attached a picture where one of the old saddle clamps is still attached, though barely. I assume I should attach some more saddle clamps to support the pipe.

I don't have a hammer drill (I've never used one and don't know how). I have a basic 1/4" power drill. I have assorted bits, and happen to have one 5/32" hammer drill bit.

• Should I use copper or plastic saddle clamps?

• What kind and size screws should I use (please be specific), and what size bit?

• Can I successfully use my existing drill, or must I get a hammer drill?

Thanks! /Rav

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Copper clamps and Tap-Con screws in the concrete.
Your going to need a masonry bit to drill concrete, one should come in the pack of Tap Con screws.
Any hardware store, Lowes and Home Depot will have Tap-Cons, there in the same area as the other fastners.
A hammer drill would be at least 10 times faster, but a reguler drill will work.
A hammer drill operates no differant then a reguler drill, it just hammers as it's also turning.

Reactions: Rav
#3 ·
Thanks, Joe. My regular drill worked fine for this small amount of work. For around $8 and some of my time, my water pipes are now reinforced. And I have a few copper clamps and Tapcon screws and a Tapcon drill bit left over for future endeavors. /Rav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.