Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #1

Share |

Refigerator water/ice hookup.

Hi guys,

I am installing a Whirlpool refrigerator with the water and ice features on the door. What's the size on the flexible copper pipe I need to use? Also which is the best way to tap into the existing plumbing? Should I use a tee? I have to tap from downstairs, (BASEMENT). Hope all you plumblers haven't left to the new site!!! Lol!!
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Hi guys,

I am installing a Whirlpool refrigerator with the water and ice features on the door. What's the size on the flexible copper pipe I need to use? Also which is the best way to tap into the existing plumbing? Should I use a tee? I have to tap from downstairs, (BASEMENT). Hope all you plumblers haven't left to the new site!!! Lol!!
I believe there is a fitting you can purchase that is screwed onto existing copper tubing that has a sharp point that will feed water to your fridge. Therefore, you won't have to cut any of your existing piping.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #3

The flexible pipe size should be in the manual. When I installed my humidifier, I cut in and sweat a 1/2" tee, a short length of pipe to a 1/4 turn brass shut off valve. You could use a self-piercing saddle valve, but I just don't trust them.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #4

The self-piecing saddle valves are the best way to do it for someone that isn't a very competent plumber. They're basically foolproof, and they work just fine. My house has two of them that were installed before I owned it, and they've never been a problem.

I agree that the ideal installation is soldering or threading a valve off the pipe and hooking the tubing to that. That's how I did my humidifier line, but that's more because it was an excuse to replace some waterlines while I was in there soldering.

If you opt for the saddle valve, they sell kits that come with the tubing, the valve, and the fittings. Very easy to do!

The only drawback to saddle valves is that they can eventually become calcified and lose flow. The symptom of this is hollow ice cubes. I've found that you can restore the flow to like new just by cranking the valve all the way shut, thereby re-piercing the original hole. Re-open and the flow is restored. If somehow the valve is bad you can usually crank it shut and abandon it, and install a new one right next to it. It would of course be best to replace the pipe.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #5

Thanks Guys for all the quick responds I just hate those self-piercing saddle valves, that's just my opinion.
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Problem with the saddle valves is that they create turbulence, which plumbers know, is why we REAM our copper pipes. Turbulence wears out the pipes faster.

How much faster? I don't know. It kinda depends on the use of the fixture at which you tapped the saddle valve into. I'd say a saddle valve tapped onto a lavatory cold line would wear out the pipe much more slowly than a saddle valve tapped onto a shower cold line.