Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Recommended Boiler for Long Island Home?

Standard ranch. Two level not the greatest insulation or windows. Estimated 1,600 square feet.

Existing boiler is dieing a slow death but still keeps the kids warm. Current one is oil with the tank in the basement but we do have Natural gas in the house so I was thinking of converting to gas. Would also like a stand alone hot water tank or is it better to have the hot water independent of the boiler?
My neighbor has a Buderus wall mounted unit that just seems to never shut off. He likes it but I wouldn't expect him to complain either after what he spent.

I really would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Definately go with NG, get rid of the oil, as far as size, either familiarize yourself with doing heatloss calcs or bring in a contractor, there are too many variables to size it over the net.

Hot water source is really up to you, integral with the boiler, stand alone 50 gal HE power vented or tankless.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

How the unit is sized and installed is FAR more important than brand name or fuel source. Do your homework and find the best contractor you can.
SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

A friend of mine is sending his buddy over to size the house. Hes guessing now at 77000 btus needed give or take.
After reading pros and cons all day, it seems the best choices are between Well Mclain and Burnham for the boiler and a new one to me, A.O. Smith for the hot water heater. I dont think I want one of those new fancy things with all the bells and whistles. I want an aqua stat and two pumps that get hooked up to the two zones. KIS, Keep it simple
The hot water is different though. This AO Smith power vent just looks so smartly designed and being vented on the bottom gives me a lot more play room to vent it outside. Or I might just go with a high E water storage tank and let the Mclain heat it.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote