Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |

Recommendation to pump water 35 ft too roof

Hi folks,

I have a solar water heater with a 40G tank on my roof. I want to pump water from the basement 35 ft up to the tank of the roof through 1/2 inch pex. The water in the basement is coming from a spare hot water holding tank not connected to the water supply. Time to move the water isn't important so whether it takes 1/2 hr or 2 hrs, that's fine.

Appreciate any ideas for an inexpensive pump for such a job.

atw58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Are you pumping Potable water or is this a closed loop to heat an exchanger? A circulator pump like that used on a hot water heating system might work as long as the system is a pressurized closed loop. The kind of pump largely depends on the configuration of the system. You'll want a low volume pump so the the water has dwell time within the panel to absorb heat.
If it's an open system, you'll need a pump with enough head to lift the water to the top of the panel. I'm not sure I helped you, but you'll need to provide more info to get a clear answer.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
JOATMON

35' Of head is about 15 PSI. As noted by Maint....you want low flow....

But....if it's a closed loop system then the head is not really an issue since the water coming down will compensate....

Do a search on hot water recirc pumps....you don't need much.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

My guess is that you will need larger piping than the 1/2" Pex. I would personally go with no less than 1", so that the pump is not working as hard.

What pump do you plan on using?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

My system is currently closed loop but using water to transfer heat. The solar water heater is non-pressurized so it cannot supply the house directly. A holding tank in the basement is pressurized and feeds the hot water supply. Heat is transferred by circulating water between the roof tank and a basement holding tank using a small dc pump after I manually turn off city water to the holding tank. When the holding tank is hot then I turn off the cycling pump and restore city water.

To reduce heat lost by recycling, I want to dump the hot roof water into an empty 2nd tank in the basement. Then pump the 1st holding tankís water to the roof to capture heat again. Iíll alternate between the 2 tanks in the basement. One basement tank will be empty and the other full of hot water. This is where I need an open loop pump to fill the empty roof tank.

I tried with a jet pump but the pressure kept jumping high to low and caused the relay to chatter probably due to the small diameter half inch pex being driven.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Little Giant 360K pump. good for over 40 foot of head. not sure what GPM you'll gt though.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Is there a reason you don't just plumb the solar heater system to pre- heat your normal water heater?
If I'm reading the description right you are going to be a very busy man with what you are proposing, and switching from municipal water to open tank may not be such a good idea.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

Yes, I have been going to the basement daily to recycle for an hour then switch back. The reason the solar tank can't preheat into the regular water tank is because it is non-pressurized. The seals around the glass tubes can't take municipal water pressure. There is a different type of solar heater that you feed city water in and hot water comes out which can feed the house or preheat a regular tank.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #9

The Little Giant 360 series pumps are listed as intermittent duty (15 minutes on, 45 minutes off).
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #10

What about using the air lift method or Geyser Pump since your not concerned with speed?
DIY4WIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

You don't want the PEX exposed on the roof. Sunlight is bad for it.
ask tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask tom View Post
You don't want the PEX exposed on the roof. Sunlight is bad for it.
You do realize that there are different grades of PEX. BTW, this is a old thread, that has ran its course. Thank you for finding it in your search on a search engine, but the OP has figured this out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #13

Since we get snow in the winter, the hot and cold pex runs along heater cord used to melt snow from roofs. Then 2 layers of foam pipe insulation surround the pex/cord sandwich. Pex is inside 4 inch ducting goes from the roof to the tank so it is never exposed to sunlight.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY4WIFE View Post
What about using the air lift method or Geyser Pump since your not concerned with speed?
I agree with DIY4WIFE air lifts are incredibly efficient, non complex and you can move volumes of water over long distances in an open system.

Neosastan is offline   Reply With Quote